[cifnmedia] Driving, drinking dangers displayed

  • From: <gmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sean Aaron" <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Brad Dietrick" <bradfurniturefirst@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"BRAD DIETRICK" <badleybreak@xxxxxxxxx>, <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:20:04 -0400

      Driving, drinking dangers displayed
      * Police, rescue workers stage mock accident at C-SD High School

            By: GAIL DEAN , Dorchester Editor  04/30/2004

           Photo by GAIL DEAN

      Pfc. A.D. Patton of the Cambridge Police Department and his canine
partner, Ricco, search for illegal drugs during Thursday's mock crash at
Cambridge-South Dorchester High School.

      CAMBRIDGE - The ritual of prom is preceded by rituals - lining up the
limo, selecting a knock-out dress, getting measured for a tuxedo - and
attending the school assembly warning of the dangers of driving under the
influence of alcohol or drugs.

      Thursday, Cambridge-South Dorchester High School students got much more
than a dry lecture and a wrecked car on the school lawn to remind them of their
mortality as local law enforcement, paramedics, volunteer firefighters and
others staged a mock accident here in Viking Stadium. It was complete with a
touch-down by the Trooper 4 Maryland State Police medevac helicopter. The event
was coordinated through the C-SD Wellness Center for student health.

      The people who regularly face the real tragedies of impaired and
wreckless driving gave their time Thursday to try to impress C-SD students with
the fact that young people can die and traffic accidents are a leading cause of
those deaths.

      Among mock crash participants were volunteers from Rescue Fire Co.;
representatives of the Thomas Funeral Home, who carried a student from the mock
accident scene in a body bag; Cambridge Emergency Medical Services responders,
Cambridge and state police officers, Ricco, the Cambridge Police Department's
drug-detecting canine, and his handler, Pfc. A.D. Patton, demonstrating how
quickly the dog could sniff out illegal drugs amongst the three wrecked
vehicles.

      MSP Sgt. Steve Aaron spoke to students in the football stadium
bleachers, explaining what was happening in the mock crash scene as
firefighters, EMTs and other police carried out the real roles they play during
accidents. C-SD students acted the parts of impaired drivers, injured
passengers and corpses.

      "You think you're bulletproof," Aaron said, advising students that if
they learned only one lesson Thursday, it should be, "Use a seatbelt."

      He told C-SD students they would be among the first high schools in the
state to have breathalyzers available at their prom which will be used if
authorities suspect a youngster has been drinking alcohol.

      Among students participating in the mock accident who spoke at a school
assembly which followed were seniors Lauren Effron and Charles Pinkett. They
reminded students that they have, so far, escaped having a classmate's funeral
to attend.

      "We are the first class in a long time that has not had to say good-bye
to someone before graduation," Effron said. "Let's keep it that way," said
Pinkett.

      Continuing to play his role as someone who was arrested for driving under
the influence, Pinkett spoke of the respect once given a high school senior,
gone now after making such a mistake, "My mama can't look me in the face
anymore... My little sister doesn't want to talk to me... Everything I thought
I had, I lost."

      The reality of what can be lost by a moment's misjudgment was
dramatically presented by two nurses from the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma
Center at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore.

      Complete story appears in the print version.

      To subscribe to the print edition click here.

      ©The Star Democrat 2004

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image