[cifnmedia] Committee backtracks on ambulance changes

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 21:54:39 -0700 (PDT)

Local News

Committee backtracks on ambulance changes

By BILL GRIMES, Daily News
Effingham County officials are backtracking from a recommendation made last
month by the Ad Hoc Ambulance Committee that proposed sending all county 911
calls to one ambulance service.

Instead, the Public Safety Committee of the Effingham County Board agreed
Friday to continue funneling calls to the three existing paramedic services,
pending further discussions with Effingham County State's Attorney Ed Deters.
While all three services serve the entire county, the county Emergency
Telephone Systems (911) Board has assigned each service a certain section of
the county.

The Ad Hoc committee recommended the switch to one service on grounds three
existing services were unable to pay competitive wages to their paramedics, an
assertion disputed by some emergency service professionals.

"I think we could put together a plan where we don't have to eliminate any
service," said county board chairman Leonard Waldhoff, who added he felt it was
improper to tamper with private businesses in the way that the Ad Hoc committee
had suggested.

"I believe in the free enterprise system," Waldhoff said. "I hate to eliminate
any competition."

But Waldhoff added that no new services would be allowed to receive 911 calls.
And, he added that he would recommend the formation of an oversight committee
to oversee ambulance service throughout the county - a recommendation also made
by the Ad Hoc committee.

In addition, three other ambulance services that do not offer paramedic
services would no longer receive any 911 calls from the county. However, Ad Hoc
committee chairman Nick Althoff said the public could still utilize those
services by dialing the seven-digit number for the desired services.

Effingham Advanced Ambulance Service, Effingham City-County Ambulance and
Altamont Ambulance Service are the county's three ambulance services that
utilize paramedics, while Gieseking Ambulance Service and ambulance services
from the Tri-County and Stewardson Fire Protection Districts are nonparamedic
services that have covered relatively small portions of the county.

Public Safety Committee member Bob Shields said the process of attrition could
pare down the number of paramedic services in the county.

"That would be better than saying 'you're in and you're out,' which is
repulsive to everybody," Shields said.

Waldhoff said that Deters would be key in the development of the ordinance in
its final form.

"We'll try to get together with the state's attorney and see where we come
out," the chairman said.

Waldhoff noted that the Ad Hoc committee has twice in the last four years
recommended funneling calls to one service. He added that the committee, of
which he is a member, has served its purpose as an advisory panel to the county
board on the issue.

"I feel that they have done the assignment we requested they do," the chairman
said.

Bill Grimes can be reached at 217-347-7151 ext. 132 or
bgrimes@effinghamdailynews.

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network
cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx