[cifnmedia] Cigarette dropped in planter may have caused fire

  • From: <gmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Brad Dietrick" <bradfurniturefirst@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BRAD DIETRICK" <badleybreak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:40:12 -0400

      Cigarette dropped in planter may
      have caused fire at condominium 
            By: ROSE SPIK , Staff Writer  04/29/2004 
           Photo by BILL EVANS   

      Fire raged through a four-unit condominium, 401-404 Marion Quimby Drive, 
in Stevenville Tuesday. Two of the four units were destroyed and the other two 

      STEVENSVILLE - No one was injured when an improperly disposed cigarette 
ignited and destroyed the roof of a town home in the 400 Block of Marion Quimby 
Drive on April 27.

      According to a news release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's 
Office, the blaze began at 5:42 p.m. on the second floor interior deck of unit 
403 of the Thompson Creek Colony town home development.

      Incident commander Paul Schlotterbeck from the Kent Island Volunteer Fire 
Department said he believes the cigarette was thrown into a planter with 
potting soil containing vermiculite, or tiny styrofoam pellets, which ignited. 
The fire spread to the vinyl siding and extended into the roof and caused an 
estimated $240,000 damage.

      More than 75 volunteer firefighters from Kent Island, United Communities, 
Grasonville, Queenstown, Goodwill in Centreville, as well as Cape St. Claire, 
Jones Station and West Annapolis, brought the fire under control in about an 
hour. Church Hill, Queen Anne/Hillsboro, Ridgely, and Cordova worked as 
transfer stations covering for the departments on the scene.

      Complete story appears in the print version. 

      To subscribe to the print edition click here. 

      ©The Star Democrat 2004 

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image

Other related posts:

  • » [cifnmedia] Cigarette dropped in planter may have caused fire