[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: HTG final task options

  • From: Guy Revel <guyrevel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:42:38 +0200

All,

Very clearly the vast majority agrees with a 5 x 2 task for the final round. Obviously, as Kevin points out, this can succeed only with a running commentary, actually as with any event if we want to interest spectators. The second major requirement is instant result or, in our case, continuous standings. I found that the instant results requirement is being discussed within almost every airsport after these WAG experience, even the aerobatics guys are talking about getting rid of TBL for this very reason. This makes imperative a wireless timing system and display (at a minimum the display may simply be on a computer screen for the commentator's benefit).

As I see it, one of the 5x2 task major characteristics is that the catch / re-launch may be quite short, so that the results may be highly dependent upon the timing precision and system. So the task would be: 5 x 2-minute max. flights, 10-minute window, cumulative flight time.
As for timing, I see three options:
- Timing to the full second
- Timing to the closest full second
- Timing to 1/10 second
What would you prefer and why ? Notice that each choice may bring different end results.
If you would suggest another method, feel free to do so.

We'll then talk about the timing system.

Regards,

Guy R.

At 21:05 08/07/2009, you wrote:
I don't agree with putting in a distance task because of the need for more officials even for the locally run qualifying event and it would make it hard to practice or train for as per F3b.It will also mean different models than standard F3k and will be relative to whom can launch the highest to a certain extent. The 5 x 2 task is a great task to fly but may not be the best for spectators unless we have a good presenter
Regards
Kev