[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: HTG final task options

  • From: Guy Revel <guyrevel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 10:29:13 +0200

Hi Richard,

At 16:53 24/08/2009, you wrote:
I have spoken to a number of pilots in the UK
Their feedback is that they enjoy the knockout format of F6D and would be disappointed if it is lost from the final of the competition.

I believe everybody, or almost, agrees, but unless we find a way to break ties and have the round complete within a known time, I fear we have, at least for the time being, to use another task.

On the very rare conditions when a tie-break occurs it has been suggested that there might be even more exciting options to decide the winner.
1,2,3,4minute flight

·         It provides separation on turn-around
· Requires more skill in thermal flying than 5x2 (no thermal is needed for a 2min flight in calm conditions.)

OR

Each flight must be > 10 seconds longer - ladder.   Minimum 2-flights
(if tied the pilot with the longest 1st flight wins)

· Would require some very tactical thinking and flying.. too long on the first flight and you might make times difficult to beat later on in the slot.

We are faced with the fundamental problem of soaring : long flights are not spectacular, however difficult they may be and, in addition, 1,2,3,4 and, even more, the ladder system are rather difficult to make them understood as they go by spectators. The advantage of 5x2 is that the re-launch delay is almost certain to separate pilots. In any case, we need comments on your proposals. Remember that we must have an official proposal ready to submit to CIAM by the end of October.

Pilots in the UK are not interested in automatic timing systems. They want a competition that is easy to run, exciting and where a clear winner can be identified.

I understand this position, but it does not work at WAG, or any other event that is designed to attract spectators. At such events, automatic timing prevents any discussion on timing. With less people on the field, it easier to follow any given pilot (and I do not forget that a running commentary is an absolute requirement). In addition, automatic timing would allow to display the flight times/scores in real time, again an important feature when the aim is to capture the interest of uninformed spectators and promote the sport. This is a long-term project, however and, at this point, we must make sure the rules are suitable with human timekeepers.

Finally, unless a world league qualifying format can be decided upon, that takes approx ½ hour to run (at the end of an F3K event), it is unlikely to gain popularity.
Richard

This is something we have already spoken about last year, normally it should be no problem to run an F6D qualifier at the end of an F3K event.

Guy R.