[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: HTG final task options

  • From: "Richard Swindells" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:53:13 +0100

I have spoken to a number of pilots in the UK

Their feedback is that they enjoy the knockout format of F6D and would be
disappointed if it is lost from the final of the competition.

On the very rare conditions when a tie-break occurs it has been suggested
that there might be even more exciting options to decide the winner.

1,2,3,4minute flight

·         It provides separation on turn-around

·         Requires more skill in thermal flying than 5x2 (no thermal is
needed for a 2min flight in calm conditions.)

OR

Each flight must be > 10 seconds longer - ladder.   Minimum 2-flights

(if tied the pilot with the longest 1st flight wins)

·         Would require some very tactical thinking and flying.. too long on
the first flight and you might make times difficult to beat later on in the
slot.

Pilots in the UK are not interested in automatic timing systems. They want a
competition that is easy to run, exciting and where a clear winner can be
identified.

Finally, unless a world league qualifying format can be decided upon, that
takes approx ½ hour to run (at the end of an F3K event), it is unlikely to
gain popularity.

Richard