[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: HTG final task options

  • From: Oleg Golovidov <oleg.golovidov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:27:20 -0400

I really like this idea. Onboard automated timing system, especially
with RF transmission, would be immensely helpful in all RC soaring
competitions. If this is ever implemented, it would be a huge positive
change.

One small gotcha - midair collisions can be flagged as an end of the
flight. Not a big deal, just something to consider for the developers.

> 1)- Inboard, autonomous timing system
> 2)- inboard communication/transmission system
> 3)- Display equipment
>
> 1) I am thinking at a system able to detect the moment of launch and
> landing.  For F6D (or F3K) I believe it can be done with accelerometers,
> such components are nowadays rather inexpensive and can be found in most
> hand-held GPS, PDA etc. With the proper software, the moment of launch could
> be detected by  the sudden reduction of lateral acceleration while landing
> would be detected from the longitudinal acceleration component.
>
> 2) The inboard recorded time could be transmitted or read after flight by a
> suitable sensor, or (for WAG-style use) the start/land signals could be
> transmitted in real time to a central computer in which a suitable piece of
> software would actually compute the times

Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC
This list set up for FAI/CIAM F6 Working Group.
Archive of the list available at : ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx