[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: Back to work

  • From: "Richard Swindells" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 18:21:26 +0100

Hi Guy,

I see where you are going with the idea. However having a max-flight time of
2 minutes will provide more separation in the scores for several reasons.

1.       Only in exceptional conditions can all pilots expect to get 2
minutes from all-5 flights. If we extended the maximum flight time, pilots
who might not be able to fly 2 mins for all five flights, might bag a 5
minute flight when it is possible in the round, meaning all other flights
only have to be around the 1:15 mark. Obviously this turns the task into a
pure turn-around test and will provide less separation in the scores.

2.       With a maximum flight time, some tactics do have to come into play.
Flying even a fraction longer than 2mins is wasted time and will show up in
the scores. Pilots who are really fighting will aim to land on 1:59 so there
is no time wasted in the air (turnarounds take > than 1 second). This is
much more of a test for pilots and will provide a greater separation in
scores.

3.       In difficult conditions when 2:00 is not easy to achieve, then the
pilot with the best ability to keep his model in the air will win.

4.       In good conditions, with all pilots able to fly for 2 minutes, it
is an exciting spectacle to watch them all catch and launch at the same
time.

Importantly, the F3K 5x2 pilot is a well liked task by hand-launch pilots.
It tests them on a variety of skills and is the most physically demanding of
all.

I have attached some individual round results from UK competitions using the
5x2 task. As you can see it is very uncommon for a pilot to get within 15
seconds of a "perfect" 600 seconds  (it is also impossible to get 600
seconds). Only on one occasion have pilots ever tied scores.

Num

Name

FR

Rnd 1