[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: Back to work

  • From: Robert Herzog <Robert.Herzog@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:01:47 +0200

Oleg Golovidov a écrit :
5x2min is a good task, but I agree that it may not be very attractive
to the public. For that matter, most of the soaring tasks are not very
attractive or entertaining :-(  A very good commentary can make a huge
difference here for the spectators.

I like very much the idea of using F3B tasks for hand launch. I
remember Richard's comments about the speed task (specialized models
with thin airfoils), but I think it can be done and it can be very
exciting. If the duration task is left at least in the preliminary
rounds, and it is required that the same models be used for all tasks,
I do not see any need for a radical change in model design to be able
to fly speed and/or distance tasks in the finals. Ballast is already
used in hand launch models to enable higher wind penetration. If the
course is made such that one cannot simply dive throughout the speed
task but has to glide a significant distance, then in fact no changes
in the model design are needed. Same for the distance task. A good
penetration and L/D is already a requirement for a good HL model. The
equipment for F3B contests already exists and can be borrowed from a
club that has previously run a large F3B contest (European or World
championship, or just a large F3B event in Europe). Such equipment can
be shipped out and back for the WAG at a reasonable expense. Much
cheaper than developing a new timing system with PDAs and wireless
communication. Although the latter (PDAs and wireless communication)
can help also with F3B tasks and as far as I know has been already
used in F3J contests (instant relay of all flight times to the central
computer for scoring).

This will have a great appeal to those HL pilots throughout the world,
who also fly F3B, or may even attract some pure F3B pilots to
participate in the WAG.

The speed task as flown in F3B is generally not a fair task due to the
fact that each pilot flies by himself, and the conditions can be very
different from one pilot to the next. But the distance task is
absolutely fair and is VERY demanding and tactical. Several pilots (up
to 4 or more with proper equipment and manpower) can fly the distance
task simultaneously. The results of the distance task are immediately
obvious and ties are not likely, although possible of course.

Anyway, before I take too much of everybody's time, let's see what
y'all think about using the F3B distance task for the finals. Can be
flown in 2-3 groups, then the best 3-6 pilots fly in one group to
determine the winner. The working times and all other details of
course must be adjusted for HL models.

Oleg.

PS. I just realized the one of the strongest arguments against my idea
is that it requires a very different set of skills than what all
"regular" HL pilots are used to.

Well, we are still at the beginning of the road anyway. Any more idea about
the 5x2 or a version of it to replace the knock-out finals ?

----------------------
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC
This list set up for FAI/CIAM F6 Working Group.
Archive of the list available at : ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

__________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des
signatures de virus 4211 (20090702) __________

Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

Hi Oleg and friends,
The ideas about including F3B-like tasks in HLG is tempting, showing at least the high status of F3B in soaring people's appreciation. But the MAJOR drawback of F3B is that it requires a large number of helpers to manage the tasks, especially distance. For distance, you need at least two judges for counting and signalling base crossings. We usually have three persons per pilot. This is by far the main reason why few organisers propose to run World and Continental F3B competitions. As long as there is no automated base crossing system invented, F3B will not increase in popularity, and F3B-like tasks are way out of frame, especially for the WAG.
Robert

--
Robert Herzog
Elewijtsesteenweg 190

begin:vcard
fn:Robert Herzog
n:Herzog;Robert
adr:;;Elewijtsesteenweg 190;Eppegem;Brabant;1980;Belgique
email;internet:herzog@xxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:n.a.
tel;fax:n.a.
tel;home:+3215621004