[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: Artistic Aerobatics model weight

  • From: "Benoit DIERICKX" <benoit.dierickx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:01:02 +0200

Dear Guy,

I think there are some misunderstandings here.

In the previous e-mail, when we spoke about a 8kg weight limit, it is for
planes without any  span or lenght limit. That's why this rule could open the
WAG to the 2.2m / 2.3m monoplane or what ever. Those planes have more show
attractivity but keep the freight cost in the range of a 2m plane. A 8kg
Biplane will naturally be a bit smaller in span, that's it.
I agree that a 2m monoplane doesn't need 8kg, certainely to be competitive!

About smoke on gas engines:
With usually poor smoke quality, some people are still using very polluting
smoke fuel like plain diesel oil, which, I think too,  should be forbidden.
But the "Mineral oil" (Liquid Parafine you can swallow like used against
constipation :-))  is a LOT less polluting and works very very well. (the best
and expensive smoke fuel are mainly based on Mineral oil)
As the heat produced by a 50cc gas engine is quite low, you can not inject that
much of smoke fuel. The flow is around 100cc for 1 min of  good smoke. So, a
250cc smoke tank is big enough for a 4min flight as, unlike fireworks, it got
the "on/off" function.

I hope this will be helpfull.
Benoit