[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: Artistic Aerobatics model weight

  • From: Guy Revel <guyrevel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 19:52:00 +0200

At 07:03 09/07/2009, you wrote:
I think the Biplanes add interest to the competition, and if I remember correctly AA is designed to take precision flying to a wider audience, so to exclude something that the public can easily identify with as different seems at odds with the AA concept. Biplanes have made a big resurgence over the last 3 years in F3A including winning the last worlds, People who know nothing about pattern or RC are always drawn to these aircraft. Good for the spectators.
8 kg limit sounds good also. Nice balance of size, cost, ease of transport.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input. I must say I nave not seen any biplane at freestyle meets in Europe for years, but I have no strong opinion for nor against. I am only trying to keep rules as simple as possible. In the event we still allow biplanes, should they have the same wingspan limit as monoplanes or a lower one ? Also if you want to keep a weight limit, then I would recommend setting it lower than 8 kg. Many 2-metres planes that are not derived from F3A planes never exceed 6 kg, even with heavy gasoline engines, particularly as most AA planes have a lighter, open bay r wing structure, as was evident during WAG in Turin and even the fully-moulded, composite plane by Ales Zapletal weighted not more than 4.9 kg. It is my impression that the only reason to set a weight limit at 8 kg would be to allow large capacity tanks for smoke systems, which is something I really would like to discourage, as polluting by disseminating smoke fuel over the ground is really a thing of the past and actually illegal in a growing number of countries. It has been amply demonstrated that ribbons, smoke cartridges, fireworks etc. are quite effective and much less polluting. If you really want to set up a maximum weight, I feel that 7 kg would already allow any kind of structure and engine with still a large margin.

Comments ?

Guy R.