[CIAM-F6-Working_Group] Re: Artistic Aerobatics model weight

  • From: Guy Revel <guyrevel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciam-f6-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 23:32:40 +0200

At 18:12 08/07/2009, you wrote:
My dear Guy,
As I told you in the past, I cannot see why we need limitations to F6A models. I advocate leaving the options to the pilot, with the 20kg limit for F3M. We have a regular F3M contest schedule in Belgium, with about 15 pilots flying four nationals and a well-attended international meeting. Most of these pilots declined participating to the F6A selection contests we ran last year because their models did not comply. Only one pilot did purpose build a model and eventually was selected for the WAG. There is no question about the attractivity of these large models flown on music in front of the public. And remember that the present rule allows 15 kg jet models to compete. For these, the span is a MINIMUM of 1.8m and no maximum... Why should propeller models be limited when large and heavy jets are allowed. Maybe we should first decide whether accepting propeller aircraft, jet-powered aircraft and helicopters in the same category was a wise decision...
Thanks for promoting this discussion.

Hi Robert,

The matter has been discussed numerous times before. Larger planes are definitely out, primarily for cost reasons, considering the model itself as well as the freight costs. Up to now the limiting factor has been the weight, preventing use of the low cost (and low operating costs) of gasoline engines. With the weight rule lifted, then there are numerous, moderate cost 2-m planes on the market, able to be used with30 to 50 cc gasoline engines. The Extra Fun by 3W, as mentioned by Donatas, is an excellent example of this. Freat fun with a small 3W engine, a real competition beast with a DA or MVVS engine of slightly larger capacity but still a moderate price tag. More importantly, the operating costs are much lower than what is required with a 25 to 30 cc methanol engine or an electric motor.

Guy R.