[chapter-communicator] Message From John Flicker: Carol Browner Elected Audubon Board Chair

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chapter-communicator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:06:21 -0400

To The Audubon Family:

Two determined women who were committed to the environment founded the first
Audubon Chapter more than a century ago.  After 107 years, Audubon is returning
to its heritage in electing a determined woman who cares passionately about the
environment to lead the organization.

Carol Browner, the longest serving Administrator of the Environmental
Protection Agency, has been named Chair-elect of the National Audubon Society
Board of Directors.  Carol, who is the head of the board's Public Policy
Committee, will be the first woman to chair Audubon, and one of the few to ever
lead a conservation organization.

Carol will lead the board when our Chairman Donal O'Brien completes his term
this fall.  Audubon has been truly fortunate in having Donal to guide and help
foster the organization for over 12 years.  He has been a tireless champion for
conservation and for the Audubon movement, and has set the standard for what an
Audubon Chair should be. Undoubtedly, he will continue to be among the most
influential conservationists in America for years to come.

Carol is one of the outstanding conservationists of our time.  Again and again
she has led the way in fighting to protect America's great natural heritage.
Throughout her tenure at the EPA, Carol was guided by the philosophy that
safeguarding the environment meant protecting where people live and how they
live.  She partnered with business leaders, community advocates, and all levels
of government to promote common sense, cost-effective solutions to the nation's
most pressing environmental and public health problems.

Carol will chair Audubon at a very important time in its history as it pursues
a new vision to enlarge the conservation movement across the country.  In
taking up the standard from Donal O'Brien, who was instrumental in launching
this vitally important 2020 initiative, Carol will help guide us as we seek to
engage people of all ages and backgrounds in positive conservation experiences.
By forming lasting partnerships, she will not only enlarge our constituency,
but will help to better align our work at the local, state and national levels.
Her history at working with community and grass roots leaders will strengthen
the relationships between our local Chapter volunteers, state offices and new
constituencies.

Never shying away from a challenge, Carol's efforts to protect and restore our
environment range from the health of our children to wildlife habitats. Some of
her many accomplishments include the strongest public health based clean air
standards ever for soot and smog, tough new emission standards for cars, SUVs,
diesel trucks and buses, greatly expanded public right-to-know efforts,
accelerated clean up of hazardous waste sites, which resulted in more than
three times the number of Superfund clean-ups than in the entire history of the
program; she created the successful Brownfields program to reclaim and
redevelop abandoned, contaminated urban properties, significantly increased
funding and strengthened standards for clean water and polluted runoff; and she
worked closely with Congress to pass two pivotal environmental laws -- the
landmark Food Quality Protection Act and the Safe Drinking Water Act.  In
addition, she anticipated the opportunity of using technology to leverage
emerging science, and created the EPA's first Office of Children's Health
Protection, a new Office of Environmental Information, the American Indian
Environmental Office, the National Environmental Justice Advisory Council, and
the Office of Reinvention.

Carol is currently a partner at The Albright Group, a global strategy firm.
She is also a senior fellow at the Aspen Institute's Program on Energy, the
Environment and the Economy.   Her numerous awards and honors include the
American Lung Association's prestigious President's Award in 2000.  She was
also the recipient of the Mother of the Year Award from the National Mother's
Day Committee, the Advocate for Children Award from the Ambulatory Pediatric
Association, and Glamour magazine's Woman of the Year honor.

Prior to leading the EPA, Carol served as Secretary of Florida's Department of
Environmental Regulation.  She also served on the staffs of Senators Albert
Gore, Jr., and Lawton Chiles.  Audubon of Florida gave Carol the Guy M. Bradley
Lifetime Achievement Award in 1998 for her work on restoration of the
Everglades.

Please join me in extending a warm welcome to Carol as she begins what we know
will be an exciting and productive term as Chair of the Audubon Board of
Directors.

John Flicker

You are subscribed to Chapter-Communicator. To unsubscribe, send email to
chapter-communicator-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject
//www.freelists.org/list/chapter-communicator.