[chapter-communicator] Audubon Sanctuaries and Centers Commemorate Sept. 11

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:23:06 -0400

Contact: John Bianchi
jbianchi@xxxxxxxxxxx
212/979-3026

THIS SEPTEMBER 11, AUDUBON OPENS ITS DOORS TO THE PUBLIC

Audubon Sanctuaries & Centers Will be Free to Those Seeking the Solace of
Nature

New York, NY, September 5th, 2002 - The National Audubon Society will open
the doors of its Sanctuaries and Nature Centers to the members of the public
seeking peace and solitude this September 11th, it was announced by John
Flicker, President and CEO of the nation's oldest and largest bird
conservation group.  General admission to all Audubon Sanctuaries and
Centers will be free of charge that day to commemorate the events of
September 11th.

"Some weeks ago, many of our centers and sanctuaries began to plan a day
remembrance for September 11th," said Flicker.  "We agreed that this was
entirely appropriate, and decided to offer this opportunity at all our
Sanctuaries and Centers.  Spending time out of doors, in nature, has a
healing effect.  Audubon invites all those seeking solace and a peaceful
connection with nature to join us.

Audubon Centers and Sanctuaries are located throughout the United States.
To locate the one nearest you, visit www.audubon.org/local/sanctuary/
<http://www.audubon.org/local/sanctuary/>.  Audubon Centers and Sanctuaries
will be free of charge to general admission visitors on September 11th.

Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat
that supports them.  Our growing network of community-based Audubon Centers,
grass roots science programs for bird enthusiasts, and advocacy on behalf of
ecosystems sustaining important bird populations, engage millions of people
of all ages and backgrounds in positive conservation experiences.

#   #   #