[chapter-communicator] Audubon Newswire: Volume 4, Number 23

  • From: "TENNEFOSS, Lynn" <ltennefoss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 16:26:28 -0500

Audubon Newswire - "News on Audubon Happenings"
Volume 4, Number 23
Thursday, November 30, 2006
Circulation: 4,700

It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's
hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanates from
old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Please Note: The Ask Audubon section is our newest addition to Newswire. You
can submit your questions about consumer choices and how they affect the
environment to cblayer@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cblayer@xxxxxxxxxxx>.  Please
continue to send your news and updates to Sally Montgomery at
smontgomery@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:smontgomery@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

In this Issue:

-- Letter from John Flicker Regarding Audubon Headquarters Move
-- Audubon Urges People to Think Green This Holiday Season
-- Reminder: National Audubon Society's 107th Christmas Bird Count to Take
Place December 14 - January 5
-- Katrina Tree Recovery Campaign Continues to Provide New Trees for Gulf Coast

Announcements:
-- Audubon Announces New Online Apparel Store
-- 2007 Audubon Leadership Workshop at Hog Island Camp: August 19-25, 2007

Ask Audubon:
-- What are the most effective environmentally-friendly household cleaning
products?
Letter from John Flicker Regarding Audubon Headquarters Move

I am writing to advise you of an important development that will unfold over
the next year in Audubon's ongoing effort to maximize the efficiency and
effectiveness of headquarters support for our conservation mission.

As most of you are aware, Audubon purchased and extensively renovated our
current headquarters building at 700 Broadway in New York City in 1989. At the
time, it became a pioneering showcase of green office technology, as well as a
comfortable and efficient home for a wide array of Audubon national programs.

In recent years, however, our successful effort to strategically decentralize
Audubon programs to state and field locations has reduced the size of the
headquarters staff, boosting substantially the per-person cost of housing
remaining employees at 700 Broadway. At the same time, green office technology
progressed greatly-while our headquarters remains above average, it would take
substantial new investment to again demonstrate the best in environmental
practices. Finally, New York City real estate prices have skyrocketed, offering
a tremendous potential return on what was already an excellent organizational
investment. Consequently, following careful study by a Board subcommittee, and
the approval of the full Audubon Board of Directors, we have signed an
agreement to sell 700 Broadway. Proceeds are earmarked to eliminate the large
mortgage we still have for 700 Broadway and to cover the cost of operations at
a more efficient and cost effective New York City headquarters far into the
future.

The exact site of our future headquarters is not yet determined, though we are
committed to honoring our long history by remaining in New York City. The
location, move timetable, and other important plans will be identified over the
coming year. Along with demonstrating our continuing commitment to maximizing
the mission-focused use of Audubon revenues, this relocation provides another
opportunity for leadership.  We will seek to improve the new space before we
move to become a model of an environmentally-friendly headquarters operation
for the 21st century.

Please take the opportunity to express your gratitude to those of our
colleagues who have done so much to make 700 Broadway both a home and a
showplace; their contributions are now yielding renewed benefits for Audubon's
future. While there is some sadness associated with any departure from a
longtime home, we can all take pride in a move that is the right thing for
Audubon and represents enhanced opportunity to support our mission.  I will
keep you posted as we progress with the exciting plans for our future
headquarters here in New York

Best regards,
John.
Audubon Urges People to Think Green This Holiday Season

New York, NY, November 30, 2006 - This year, Audubon At Home is asking people
to add birds and other wildlife to their gift lists by keeping the holidays
"green."

From smart party planning, to conscientious decorating decisions, to wise
wrapping and greeting card choices, to environmentally friendly gift giving,
there are many things that each of us can do to make a difference.

To learn how to share the holiday spirit with birds and other wildlife please
visit <http://www.audubon.org/bird/at_home/Holiday_Greening/index.html>.
Reminder: National Audubon Society's 107th Christmas Bird Count to Take Place
December 14 - January 5

Ivyland, PA, October 26, 2006 - National Audubon Society's longest-running
wintertime tradition, the annual Christmas Bird Count (CBC) will take place
throughout the Americas from December 14, 2006 to January 5, 2007.

Results from the over 2,000 individual counts expected to take place this year
enable Audubon and other conservationists to assess the population status of
both resident and migratory birds across the Western Hemisphere, as well as the
state of the habitat that is critical to these feathered flyers.

For more information about CBC participation, visit Audubon's website at
www.audubon.org/bird/cbc <http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc> and click on the
"Get Involved" link on the left-hand side of the page.
Katrina Tree Recovery Campaign Continues to Provide New Trees for Gulf Coast

Moss Point, MS, November 30, 2006 - The National Audubon Society and The
National Arbor Day Foundation held their latest Katrina Tree Recovery Campaign
tree giveaway event on November 18, with nearly 22,000 trees given away by
volunteers at 19 distribution sites across coastal Mississippi and southeastern
Louisiana. The campaign is now approaching 45,000 trees delivered this year to
help the people and communities of the Gulf Coast restore the beautiful trees
lost to Hurricane Katrina.

Audubon Mississippi's collaboration with The National Arbor Day Foundation is
part of its overall initiative, dubbed Operation Backyard Recovery, to promote
the recovery of habitat for birds and other wildlife in areas stricken by
Hurricane Katrina.

More information about Operation Backyard Recovery can be found at
<http://www.msaudubon.org/>.

To contribute to the Katrina Tree Recovery Campaign, people can send
contributions to The National Arbor Day Foundation, 100 Arbor Avenue, Nebraska
City, NE 68410, or contribute online at www.arborday.org/Katrina
<http://www.arborday.org/Katrina>.
ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Audubon Announces New Online Apparel Store- The new online Audubon Apparel and
Gear Store is open for business.  Visit <http://audubon.usptgear.com/> to
purchase a broad selection of merchandise featuring the Audubon logo.  A
portion of each purchase supports Audubon's programs and activities
2007 Audubon Leadership Workshop at Hog Island Camp: August 19-25, 2007 -
It is not too soon to begin planning to attend the third annual summer "Audubon
Leadership Workshop" at the Hog Island Audubon Camp, set for August 19-25,
2007! Early signups are encouraged to take advantage of National/Chapter
scholarship opportunities.
Designed especially for active Chapter leaders, this session will build and
deepen participants' expertise and ability to enhance Audubon's effectiveness
at all levels.

To learn more about the Audubon Leadership Workshop at Hog Island Camp or to
register, please call Maine Audubon's camp registrar, toll free at 888/325-5261
x215 or visit <http://www.maineaudubon.org/explore/camp/hi_adult08132007.shtml>.
ASK AUDUBON...
"I'm about to do a big holiday house cleaning, and I want to minimize my impact
on the environment and on my family's health. Can you recommend effective
household cleaning products (either commercial or homemade) that won't harm the
environment while cleaning bathroom surfaces, kitchen floors, windows and
blinds?" - Submitted by Elaine O. of New York, NY

There are a number of green cleansers available today. These products are made
without the petrochemicals, chlorine, phosphates and other toxins that are
contained in many common cleaning products. The site
<http://www.newdream.org/consumer/cleaners.php> will give you a fairly
comprehensive list of ecological cleansers.

It is also possible to make your own cleansers with a few simple ingredients
such as vinegar and baking soda. Studies have shown that a 5% solution of
vinegar kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of
germs (viruses). Two tablespoons of vinegar can be dissolved in two cups of
water to create a basic household cleanser. For many great tips on homemade
cleansers see <http://www.care2.com/channels/lifestyle/home#55>.

Children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of products used in the
home and school. This has prompted New York to become the first state to
institute green cleaning legislation requiring all schools and government
agencies to use environmentally benign cleansers. To read more about this, see
<http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/facplan/greenclean.htm>.

Submit your questions about consumer choices and how they affect the
environment to cblayer@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cblayer@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

Newswire or Audubon in the News, please contact the Chapter Services Office
through e-mail at <chapter_services@xxxxxxxxxxx>, or by phone at (800) 542-2748.

You are subscribed to Chapter-Communicator. To unsubscribe, send email to
chapter-communicator-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject
//www.freelists.org/list/chapter-communicator.