[chaoscope] Re: soo...

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:58:09 +0100

Hi Zach,

for chaoscope (.2, i think)? It's going really good! I'm very
impressed with the program, although I do have a few suggestions, I've
noticed that you can't change theimage size of the fractal once it had
been created, that can be a problem, but I heard it is to be fixed in
version .3. Also the openGL viewer quality is somewhat low, but I
heard that's to be fixed too.

Right on both accounts! The new preview doesn't take advantage of OpenGL most advanced capabilities, but it's still much better than the old one. Changing the size of an existing project is now implemented.

the only other suggestion i have is a slight improvement to the solid
rendering style, it always seems to come out somewhat noisy, no matter
how many iterations i set it to.

Not all attractors will look nice in Solid mode, that's inherent to their nature. You want your orbit nicely spread all over the attractor surface, i.e. no isolated bright patches in Gas mode. If you look in the galleries, you won't find any "grainy" Solid renders.

I've spent a few days recently trying to optimize the refresh speed of the Solid mode. Nothing substential yet but it's just a start.

What's left to do before the beta release:

- Add Neural Network equation
- Improve view refresh indicator (the little "o" at the bottom left)
- Options interface
- Color properties for Solid mode
- Get the attraction animation to work
- Project management
- Batch rendering
- Interface translation

I've attached a solid render of an Abs Polynomial Function.

Nicolas Desprez

JPEG image