[chaoscope] Re: copyright policies

  • From: "Paul N. Lee" <Paul.N.Lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:54:12 -0500

dan31056@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello...... This program is very
> interesting.  I would like to inquire
> about your copyright policies regarding
> imagery produced by Chaoscope.  I am
> a painter/sculptor and would like to
> feature some of this imagery, along
> with some of the formulas (if it is ok),
> in my work.  I would be happy to e-mail
> you my results.

First a quick definition:

    FORMULAS are the mathematical equations used to do the basic
    calculations of a fractal image.  Many fractal generating
    applications are capable of using various formulae, whether
    hardcoded within the program or using a formula parser.

    PARAMETERS are the values supplied to and used by a formula
    within the generating application.  These are established by
    the user of the software to adjust various settings, quantities,
    etc. to achieve varied results in the image.

    MAPS are the color palettes used to cause variations in the\
    way an IMAGE may be colored.  (Thousands of these are in the
    public domain already.)

Now to answer your concerns...  The PARAMETERS and IMAGES made by an
individual are their own property, and are considered to be
copyrighted.  Any use by another person of said items should require
permission by the creator/author.

FORMULAS are usually considered to be public domain, and virtually can
not cause an IMAGE without supplying PARAMETERS.

Sincerely,
P.N.L.