[chaoscope] Re: Outside the envelope + wishlist

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:46:43 +0000

Hi Charles, hello all,

Now lets try to stretch the box.

This may have been remarked on before, but I've just noticed that some parameters can be manually adjusted: Gamma, Opacity and Roughness can be set to any value by typing it in, beyond what can be set with the slide.

This is true for all parameters, the slider may have its own boundaries independently from the parameter's minimum and maximum.

This makes for some interesting effects. Unfortunately the number of iterations always reverts back to the maximum of 4.29 billion which is a pity because some images need more, especially at larger sizes. I don't know why this limit is there.

There is no intrinsic limit to iterations, the render could go on and on until you would decide to stop it. However the iterations counter is stored in a DWORD, hence the 2^32 limit which I agree is too low for most large Solid renders. Therefore iterations limit will be optional in 0.4.

I wish ChaoScope had many more attractor types to choose from. I have a small DOS attractor generator of - I think - less than 100 kB which specifies about 30 different types. But perhaps it is a lot of work to implement each new type.

It isn't, it's actually one of the easiest things to do as far as Chaoscope code is concerned, as long as there isn't a funky option somewhere or a non-numeric parameter. I'm always welcoming suggestions for new equations, but it's really hard to find something that will yield a wide variety of shapes.

I also wish lighting angles and sources in solid mode could be manually set, you seem to be able to generate angles randomly with Ctrl+R but not otherwise, unless I would try to manually edit the parameter file I suppose.

Light editor will be bundled with 0.4. Stop complaining.

I am not complaining, just wishing, I am grateful for the wonderful program.

Oh right then, my mistake!

I have spent a frustrating few weeks trying to make a good image based on a solid render that I made. I just can't get it right. When I do you will be the first to know.

Thanks for the submission, a great find indeed.

Lastly a random thought, I heard about new horizons in home computing where it will become possible to create real objects directly from your home computer: so you can as it were print stuff. Fab Labs this was called I think. Anyway, I have often thought some solid renders would make great pottery models, although you would never capture the fine complicated lines in clay. But wouldn't it be great if you could create a real object defined by a Chaoscope attractor? I would like to have a Chaotic Flow fruit bowl.

This is an area I've begun to explore. The problem with attractors is most of them don't have any volume, just a surface and you're lucky when it isn't degenerated, in other words convertible to 3D mesh.

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez