[chaoscope] New preview comment and bugs

  • From: Axone Man <axoneman01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liste chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:47:06 +0200

Hello to you every chaoscopers

Here's my opinion after testing the enhanced preview. Many thanks Nicolas!
First reaction: Yeppee yeppee yeppee!! Very interesting features ;-).
- Solid mode:
It's the first time I can see this, wonderful! Exactlty what I hoped from you Nicolas :-) This time you can tell it's a real preview in solid mode! No transparency nor gamma settings but a preview with an astounding accuracy, except for lights (1 suspect one more in preview but maybe is it the lack of shadows) Of course I understand, shadows are very time consuming. Moving the mouse is like watching a cartoon. I had a bug when hight zooming with your first exe but I can't reproduce it with the new one. Good no? ;-)
- B&W modes: Didn't notice any strange behavior. Beautiful!
- Colored modes: Beautiful too but here there is a problem. It can be very beautiful but I don't have the same colors I have with rendering (?). Colors are differents. Like if the gradient's arithmetic would'nt be the same in both cases. Just try any kind with the standard gradients: youl'll see the first calculations but if you click to see the enhanced preview, you won't see anything or something very dark. Try to render the picture... surprise, it appears. Easy to see this strange behavior: just change the black angle gradient by a red one for instance, press F3, see, and click on view, you'll see what I mean. It's not the same color scheme...
263524 Ko for a huge zoom, more than 90 ;-). Depends of parameters in options file. Even returning to a 'normal' view by a new F3, the memory consumption stays hight. To free the memory I need to launch an other rendering mode. Sometimes a peak at more than 400 Mo. Launching an other rendering mode reallocates the minimum required memory.
My options file have all values multiplied by 10 and even in solid mode the animation stays almost smooth. Not any problem with other modes, very smooth, not any interruption between frames...
For a normal usage, it could be useful to have a sign somewhere showing the machine is in calculations instead watching the task manager ;-) I know it's a test release... I appreciate the iteration correction on zoom feature, great! Fast and efficient!
So what could I tell more? Nothing. Just great !! Just this color problems for me.

MEMORY ALLOCATION
With standard option file:
-Launching 4 168 Ko
Icon 640 x 480:
- Gaz: 14 312 Ko
- Liquid: 15 832 Ko
- Light: 18 512 Ko
- Plasma: 19 804 Ko
- Solid: 16088 Ko

Option file with all values multiplied by 10
- Launching 4 168 Ko
Icon 640 x 480 (the same, joined)
- Gaz: 39 392 Ko
- Liquid:  40 760 Ko
- Light: 48 672 Ko
- Plasma: 49 236 Ko
- Solid: 40 968 Ko

Option file with all values multiplied by 100
- Launching: 4 160 Ko
Still the same icon
- Gaz: 250 908 Ko
- Liquid: 127 724 Ko
- Light: 275 284 Ko
Bug when passing from light to plasma: violation access in module atioglxx.dll (read of adress 000000) and an other with "external exception EEFFACE"
The program seems to return to normal state after clicking OK
- Plasma: 275 480 Ko
- Solid: 287 080 Ko not a very smooth animation of course... after relaunching: 129 824 Ko only! Strange no? 251 936 Ko after zooming to 4.

All these values can vary a little bit, around 100 Ko more or less. Don't know why.

Have FUN !!! Oh yes you can!
François
Axone Man

attractor {