[chaoscope] Re: Features planned for version 0.3 and beyond

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:58:39 +0100

Hello everyone,

Other low development cost features :
- Intensity/color of the Solid mode specular highlights as a parameter.
- Ability to change background/attractor colors in Gas and Liquid mode.

Not in solid mode ? (bakground color)

Forgot that, attractor color as well, which is a very light yellow by default.

For 3d export, may be the "universal" (hum...) DXF format. This way, all
models can be exported from Chaoscope to all major CAD software (Bryce,
Cinema4DXL, Rhinoceros, Autocad of course, and many many others). VRML
could be also envisaged even if I don't find it very usefull. POV is a
very good idea because of it's texture possibility and it's wonderfull
rendering engine. An other largely used format is 3DS.

DXF makes sense, although I'd need to think about what to export. Which packages can handle a points cloud to build an object out of it? I've already experimented with POV-Ray. I'll release an include file with an example of macro called for each iteration, with the orbit position as a parameter.

- Attractor quantisation (reduce the number of points by a few orders of magnitude without affecting its shape, useful for exporting to POV-Ray)

Please, allow it's not an automatic feature cause I'm ready to wait one
complete day to obtain the picture I want ;-)

The quantisation would slow down the first render, but speed-up any subsequent renders as long as the parameters aren't modified. Quantisation downside is a general loss of rendering quality, with artefacts similar to what you'd get using a low precision Z-buffer in Solid mode.

- Possibility to save Z-buffer and Alpha buffer

Saving Z-buffer would be a great feature too. With this, everybody can
generate SIRDS and see the ensemble in a stereoscopic view without
needing special glasses. I can't see what you mean by alpha buffer, a
kind of luminance channel, alpha channel?

Alpha channel, useful (note the single "l"! :) for Photoshop composition. What you can do for now is to render the same attractor in Gas mode with high Gamma.

- Color editor (built-in, not Windows standard dialog)

You like challenges ;-)

I don't like Windows color picker. :-)

Wonderfull planning !!! As requested feature, I'd appreciate an
"autonaming" one. When I save my picture, I usualy save the parameter
file too. So, would it be possible to autoname my parameter file with
the picture name? This name is used when you refresh the window, just
after saving. Or a naming convention like Chaos2004-06-06-xxx with xxx
being the picture or attractor number of the day, like in Apo. Or an
autosave mode: when I save a picture, Chaoscope automatically saves the
parameter file with the adequate name. It's obviously not a must-do
feature ;-)

I prefer the second solution. Can be an option, it'll be added to the TODO list. I don't like the idea of giving an automatic name to an attractor/image. If you can't find an original name for a picture, then it's not worth saving it. I'll include a feature in 0.4 so that users will have to come up with an unusual title, otherwise the render will be erased from the memory. (i.e. avoid "Chaotic Light", "Plasma Curves", "Solid Chaos" etc.) :-)

I also forgot (for after 0.3) :

- Perspective
- Color perspective (or haze, just like in the preview mode)
- Other ideas I had I can't remember

And now a little picture. Just a L84. 500 000 000 iterations in just a
quarter of an hour. I used PSP to enhance it a lot with autocorrection.
Is it allowed to post such pictures with light post processing or only
"pure" chaoscope pictures? If you prefer "pure" ones, just tell it.

I'd rather stick to non-post-processed pictures, however signatures, copyright notice and dates are okay. None of the pictures shown in Chaoscope.org gallery have been post-processed. I don't want people who've never heard of Chaoscope, seeing a picture posted here and trying to reproduce it using the program, feeling he/she's been scammed after realising you can't have three different attractors on the same image on top of a textured background.

Almost perfectly bizarre Lorenz-84!

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez