[chaoscope] Development update

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:45:02 +0100

Hi all,

I've started working on 0.3. As usual, instead of focusing on what needs done (rewriting the property palette code) or implementing the most requested features, I've decided to work on the preview. I'm in the middle of it, but this is how it will work :

- You will get a new enhanced preview mode, close to a highly contrasted Gas rendering mode (see attachment). The normal "flat" preview mode will still be available.
- Preview in Light and Plasma will be colored. Not sure yet how close it will be to the rendering.
- Instead of the fixed 20,000 points, you will get as many iterations as your PC can compute in 2/100th of a second. The maximum preview iteration will be set in the Preferences. (we're limited by RAM and graphic card performance)
- If you're not modifying the view or the attractor, Chaoscope will carry on iterating the equation until it reaches the limit. Then the remaining points will be displayed after a smooth fade-in.
- Zoom will no longer cause near clipping. (points missing when too close to the camera).
- After a zoom, extra iterations will be calculated so that the points density will remain the same. (again, this feature will be limited by RAM and graphic card performance).

The attached picture shows a 200,000 points preview.

Nicolas Desprez

JPEG image