[chaoscope] Re: Development Update

  • From: <corsett@xxxxxx>
  • To: <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:43:18 +0200

Thanks a lot !!!!!!
great update.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chaoscope" <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 2:19 AM
Subject: [chaoscope] Development Update

Hi everyone,

first of all, welcome to all those who have subscribed to this
mailing-list since the last relevant post. By the way, TheFireChild,
you're fired! :-)
Seriously, when you send a message to your entire address book, make
sure any mailing-list (and this one in particular) is excluded.

To the development update now. I've spent the last few weeks coding, and
this is how far I've got:

NEW FEATURES

- Chaotic Flow equation was added
- Improved preview : now closer to final render
- Folders for each files category saved in Options
- Gradient is used for Gas and Liquid rather than default black and white
- View window may be resized and scrolled
- Render and preview zoom in/out up to 16x
- Render size can be changed once the project is open
- Ctrl+R to randomize lights in Solid mode
- Secondary color for attractor in Solid mode

FIXES

- The preview brightness was inconsistent between rendering mode changes
- Shadows were inconsistent with Opacity in Solid mode
- Parameters saved with an exponent part couldn't be read
- Floating point exceptions weren't captured during Search
- Rotation is now consistent with scale
- Large preview scale was causing near-plane clipping
- Left-most and bottom-most pixel lines were missing on rendered image
- Half of Julia shadows was clipped off in Solid mode
- Artifacts could appear on shadows edges
- View centering was broken

MISCELLANEOUS

- More sloppy code clean-up/optimization

I've sent the new alpha binaries to Francois, long time tester, and
Kerry who was kind enough to put together an amazing bug tracking
system, exclusively for Chaoscope. This will help us to reach the
highest possible stability which is unfortunately limited by my poor
programming skills.
The next beta-testing sessions will take place on Kerry's system (ITS,
which is private) rather than on this mailing-list.
I will contact all the potential beta-testers, and Kerry will send you
the ITS URL, a login and a password.

I've attached a Solid render of a Chaotic flow, with a couple of random
light and a reddish secondary color. The original is 2048x1536.

Nicolas Desprez