[chaoscope] Development Update

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 00:50:39 +0100

No post for May yet?

Development is rather slow lately, I am busy and have little time to spend on the project unfortunately.

I've started to update the web site and the manual, which will be included in the final binaries archive, a popular user request. I'll send the official archive to the beta-testers along with an install procedure to make sure we're square. I've decided to correct the last bug described by Gerson (sliders misbehaving when used close to the bottom edge of the palette) because it triggers an infinite loop and there's no choice left but to kill the application.

Here's the list of all the bugs corrected so far, followed by the initials of the tester who's reported it :

- wrong sub-system version number, won't run on Windows 9x/ME (JS)
- language selection not working properly (JS)
- bad scaling with Ctrl+mouse button (ND)
- default gradients files not included in the binaries archive (JS)
- attractors other than Julia may be mirrored (ND)
- Julia mirroring lost when changing rendering mode (ND)
- wrong file syntax for IFS in coefficients mode (ND)
- scale still enabled when no attractor was found (GSL)
- IFS search may ignore Randomness property (ND)

Bugs pending :
- slider auto-scrolling may not stop (TN)
- conflicting events in palette crash application (ND)
- program may hang when slider is used close to the palette edge (GSL)

As you can see, I'm way ahead in the beta-testing competition. Some could say having the source code at hand is an unfair advantage, even though I've got to understand what I coded. Just to remind you, the tester who's reported the most bugs will have his name added on the program About box. Francois isn't qualifying because he started testing before everybody else. :-)

Nicolas Desprez