[chaoscope] Re: ChaoScope suggestions

  • From: "Paul N. Lee" <Paul.N.Lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 06:13:35 -0600

Axone Man wrote:

> ...I think The "F1" key is almost always
> used to access to the help on windows
> applications, like CTRL+N is used to
> create a new thing on most programs.

Yes, that is the standard for most applications written for the Windows
environment.  And I hope all future programs continue with this
unwritten rule of thumb.  (I find it troublesome when a new developer
makes their program function different than the rest of the world.)

> So to compute Mandelbrot ou Julia sets,
> why don't you have a look at Fractint
> (the ancestor)?

I concur.  Why make Chaoscope do something that can be accomplished by
hundreds of other programs.  Best to let this application continue
growing towards it's own goals and become specialized in it's own right.

Fractint
   http://www.fractint.org/                 (latest Developer's version)
   http://spanky.triumf.ca/www/fractint/   (older official release ver.)
   http://www.Nahee.com/Software/Wins1821.Zip       (older Windows ver.)
   http://www.deleeuw.com.au/     "ManPWin" (loosely based Windows ver.)

> Chaospro
> Fractal explorer
> Apophysis
> Quat 1.20
> XaoS

So many to choose from these days.  At last count, I came up with over
450 various fractal generators available.  (I have only tried out about
382 of them so far.)     ;-}

> You'll find lot of valuable software on
> this page (by a fractal master indeed)
> http://home.att.net/~Paul.N.Lee/Fractal_Software.html

Thank you for the compliment and the reference.    :-)

> ....maybe Nicolas will propose a 3D
> Mandelbrot.

Some of the following are capable of creating 3-D fractal objects, such
as the programs by Terry W. Gintz (some of which are included below).

If you wish some other fractal related programs to try out:

Mind-Boggling Fractals (Lite)
   http://www.Nahee.com/Software/MBF_Lite_2-3.zip

QuaSZ
   http://www.Nahee.com/Software/QuaSZ_Trial.zip