[channelf] Re: Channel F repair...

  • From: "Sean Riddle" <seanriddle@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <channelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:05:08 -0600

Steve-

        That's what I did- a short run of RCA-RCA with an RCA-to-f-connector
converter going to an antenna input on my TV.  Since my TV has multiple
antenna inputs I didn't need the game/TV switch box, but you could use =
one
if needed.

        Fredric sent me a troubleshooting guide, but it's a scan of a faxed
photocopy, and the example pictures are nearly impossible to make out.  =
It
tells how to disassemble the unit, then discusses the test cart (the =
only
known cart we haven't dumped) and then shows a bunch of pictures and =
tells
you what to do if you see one of them.  It discuss any theory of =
operation
or underlying circuits, so it wouldn't be of any help if the unit =
doesn't
display anything.

        Make sure to check the power at the F8 (don't short any pins!).  Pin
3 is +5 and pin 4 is +12.  They should be +/- 5%.  Make sure it isn't
something dumb like the reset button is stuck down.  One by one, =
carefully
pry out the socketed chips with a small flat-blade screwdriver, then
carefully reseat them, making sure you are putting them in the right
direction and all pins are going into the socket.  Remember, if you =
damage a
chip you're out of luck.

        After that, all I can think of is to put an oscilloscope or logic
probe on different signals and see if any look weird, then try to figure =
out
what's causing it.

        My unit came with a faulty reset button (wouldn't reset), a broken
hand-controller wire (I replaced the 9-pin cable with an old Atari =
joystick
cable) and a display problem- there is a color shadow just to the right =
of
each pixel.  It looks like the chroma and luminance info are slightly
off-sync, but I don't know how to adjust it.  I've played with the =
coils,
but that doesn't fix this.  If I detune the unit slightly I go into B&W
mode, and the pixels are very sharp.  But I cannot get the pixels and =
their
colors to line up.  I'm guessing a discrete component (maybe a cap?) is =
bad,
but I don't know enough about it to fix it.

Sean