[chai-t] last Meeting on 26th June.

  • From: "DAVEY, Peter" <Peter.DAVEY@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'chai-t@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <chai-t@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 08:39:43 +0000

Chai-Ters,
This is a quick update on the last meeting.

We had an excellent presentation by Jock Lawrie who's working at the Murdoch
Children's Foundation. He talked about two projects:

1. A proof of concept project that uses simulation to predict the likely
length of stay and departure status of patients who arrive at ED.
2. He's currently working on a 12 month funded project that uses a similar
simulation technique applied to waiting list data. He's about half way through
the project - it'll be interesting to see the final outcome.

If anyone's interested in working with Jock (i.e. provide some funding) to
further the ED project I'm sure he'd be happy to chat to you. Jock is using a
language called Julia that he says is an improved version of R and is running
it on Linux (a POS [Proper Operating System]).

We also had a show and tell by Chris Hamilton who was eager to show us the iPad
based real-time dashboard they've developed at Monash using Micro Strategy
software. It was very impressive - touch based with drill down to episode.

Thanks Jock and Chris.

Jock's presentation led to a fair bit of discussion and Dr Jackson from RMH
raised the issue of WIES estimation. We agreed that it would be interesting to
find out the different approaches that people are using with some indication of
the level of accuracy. We'll make that a topic for discussion at the August 28
meeting. In the meantime please circulate information about your approach to
WIES estimation. This also raises the question about how to measure the
accuracy of the WIES estimation - it's not as straight-forward as we might
think.

Cheers
Peter Davey | Grand Pooh-Bah |Chai-T
(03) 9496 5854 | email.
peter.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:peter.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

This email contains confidential information intended
only for the person named above and may be subject to
legal privilege and confidentiality obligations imposed
by legislation or be subject to intellectual property
protection or copyright. If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this transmission
is prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please notify us immediately by return email and delete the
original email and any attachments.
Austin Health provides no guarantee that this transmission
is free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or altered.