[chadfree] Re[2]: [CHAD] Firewall.exe \ HOST file

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Computer_Help_and_Discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:36:45 -0700

Hi Robert,
frequently virus may write to your "HOAST" file to prevent you accessing the
sites which may help you.
The Windows Hosts file can be found in Win XP
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc.
In Windows 98 SE, the Hosts file is located in
\Windows\

Use the Hosts
Whenever your computer connects to a resource on the Internet, it
uses a Domain Name System (DNS) server to convert the human-friendly
host name (such as \\Mailserver) or URL (such as www.pcmag.com) into
an IP address. A little-known feature (lifted directly from Unix) in
Windows 98 SE or later lets you keep a table of host names and IP
addresses on your own computer. If this file =97called the Hosts file=97
is present, Windows uses the IP address from the file without
consulting a DNS server.

The Windows Hosts file can be found in C:\Windows\System32
\Drivers\etc. (In Windows 98 SE, the Hosts file is located in
\Windows\.) The plain-text Hosts file contains one line for each
entry.

Even if you haven't created the Hosts file, it's there=97with one
lonely entry that defines localhost. (Localhost is an alias used for
testing, and it always refers to 127.0.0.1, the IP standard loopback
address.)

You can add your own entries to the Hosts file using any text editor,
such as Notepad. The first (and less useful) way you might use this
is to add the names and IP addresses of commonly used Internet hosts,
so that Windows does not have to look up the address each time it
connects to a given host. But most DNS lookups are so fast that you
won't notice any performance increase.

The second, more useful way to use Hosts is to create a dead-end
address, known as a hacker IP address, for ad servers or for Web
sites that you want to block. For example, the entry 127.0.0.1
adserver .annoying.com tells Windows to use 127.0.0.1 to connect to
Adserver.annoying.com. Since that address doesn't exist, you'll never
see the ad. You can use the Hosts file as a cheap and dirty content
filter in the same way: Simply create an entry for each host you want
to block, using the address 127.0.0.1.

See also; http://www.smartin-designs.com/

<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
<virusinfo-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

On 19/04/2004 at 3:42 PM Doug wrote:

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for that, but I got a 404 on that page ?  But there again, I'm
getting a lot of 404's all of a sudden ? ?  If I go to a page in my fav's,
it
goes straight there, but quite a few times over the last few days, when I
click
on a link like yours in an email, I get a 404 ?  I've tried to copy and
paste
and it still happens ?