[cetfosscell] Re: CETsoc : First step

  • From: Pirate Praveen <pravi.a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cetfosscell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 19:47:33 +0530

> And I would prefer gitorious over gitlab. Not as polished as github.
> But shouldn't be much of an issue since all git platforms are
> compatible with each other I believe.

Suppose, CET wants to host a git service, you cannot use github. You
are dependant on github for the service. In case of gitlab or
gitorious, anyone is free to download the code and setup their own
instance. Why should we be promoting dependency?

Suppose we found a bug or we want new feature. Again, we will be
depending on github for that. In case of gitlab or gitorious, we could
send them a patch. If it was an instance on our server, we could even
patch it ourselves.

See http://autonomo.us/ for why we need free network services. It is
the logical step for free software in a more networked world.

From their about page,

"Information technology plays an increasingly important role in the
way we create, communicate, and collaborate. As this happens, our
autonomy is increasingly affected by the degree and nature of our
control over these technologies. Over the past thirty years, the free
software movement has successfully worked to protect this autonomy.

However, the last decade has witnessed a rise in the role of computing
as a service, a massive increase in the use of web applications, the
migration of personal computing tasks to data-centers, and the
creation of new classes of service-based applications. Through this
process, some of the thinking, licenses, tools, and strategies of the
free and open source software movements have become poorly suited to
the challenges posed by these network services.

Autonomo.us is a group of developers, entrepreneurs, hackers and
activists — many of us create network services. All of us are
concerned about their effects on user freedom and autonomy.
Autonomo.us is designed as a forum to explore the problems and issues
raised by network technologies."
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
You have to keep reminding your government that you don't get your rights