[ceevol] GEE/CEE Seminar: Weds 8 Nov, 5pm: Understanding microbial evolution: system-specific models do produce general insights

  • From: "Dempster, Jane" <j.dempster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 20:09:10 +0000

For All CEE Members

Please note the following CEE/GEE Seminar taking place tomorrow (Wednesday), at
5pm in UCL's A V Hill Lecture Theatre:

Speaker:  Dr Ivana Gudelj, NERC Advanced Fellow, Reader in Systems Biology,
University of Exeter
http://biosciences.exeter.ac.uk/staff/index.php?web_id=Ivana_Gudelj

Understanding microbial evolution: system-specific models do produce general
insights
Ivana Gudelj, University of Exeter
Is a group best off if everyone cooperates? Models of co-operation presume this
to be so but our experiments show something different. In competition between
"cheat" and "co-operator" strains of yeast, population fitness was maximised
under co-existence.
To understand this unexpected result we develop a systems model using the
following key building block. Individual fitness is neither fixed nor
predetermined rather it is determined directly from underlying biochemical and
metabolic assumptions. We benchmark and test the model demonstrating that it
can accurately describe our experimental outcome.
But this is not the end of the story. By dissecting our model we are able to
pinpoint mechanisms necessary to recover the unexpected result. Our findings
suggest that this result is unlikely to be just a peculiarity of our yeast
model system.

With best wishes
Jane Dempster

Jane M Dempster
Executive Officer to Professor Andrew Pomiankowski, Head of Research Department
and to
Professor Gabriel Waksman, Head of Research Department of Structural and
Molecular Biology
& CEE Administrator
Darwin Building (Room 111),  Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT
Tel: 020 7679 2246 (internal xt 32246)
Fax:  020 7679 7193
E-mail: j.dempster@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:j.dempster@xxxxxxxxx>
Departmental website:  www.ucl.ac.uk/gee<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/gee>