[ceevol] Forthcoming events w/c 9th June

  • From: CEE.Secretary <cee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 15:41:43 +0000

Dear all,

Please find below, a list of upcoming CEE related events for the coming week.

Events w/c 9th June
------------------------------------
UCL - French Embassy 'State of Nature' Conférence-Débat Series 2014 -
Technology for Nature?

Speakers:            Prof. Romain Julliard, National Museum of Natural History,
Paris, France
Prof. Kate E. Jones, Centre for Biodiversity and Environment Research,
University College London
Date & time:      10th June 18:00 - 19:30 (followed by wine reception)
Venue:                 Darwin Lecture Theatre, University College London

Technology for Nature?
We debate whether new technologies can help us to further understand and
predict the impact of anthropogenic change on the natural world. Can these
technologies inspire people to become further engaged in the environment around
them? The event is free and everyone is welcome.

Please register to attend -
http://conference-debat-techfornature.eventbrite.co.uk - this event is free and
is open to all.

Speaker Bios

Prof. Romain Julliard - Prof. Julliard is the Scientific Director of Vigie
Nature at National Museum of Natural History, Paris, which monitors trends in
various widespread taxa using citizen scientists in France.  Prof. Julliard's
research focuses on the functional homogenization of biodiversity, how
biodiversity changes (reorganization of communities under the influence of
global change) and biodiversity applications (development of biodiversity
indicators). Prof. Julliard did his PhD in University of Montpellier France and
has worked at National Museum of Natural History, Paris since 1999.

Prof. Kate Jones - Prof. Kate Jones holds the chair of Ecology and Biodiversity
at University College London and Zoological Society of London. Her research
focuses on understanding how biodiversity is maintained, monitored and
conserved globally, with a focus on mammals. Following her PhD in 1998, Prof.
Jones has held research positions at University of Virginia, Columbia
University and Zoological Society of London and has worked at University
College London since 2012.

 ------------------------------------
Who's going to save the world? Building the next generation of conservation
leaders - ZSL Seminar Series
Speakers:            Kiragu Mwangi, BirdLife International;
Marianne Carter, Fauna and Flora International;
Simon Black, DICE, University of Kent;
Olivia Couchman, Zoological Society of London
Rosie Trevelyan, Tropical Biology Association.
Date & time:      10th June 18:00 - 19:45
Venue:                 Huxley Lecture Theatre, ZSL London Zoo

The sixth extinction is underway and our species and ecosystems are in crisis.
To fight this, we need conservation capacity - the knowledge, tools and
resources to effectively manage wildlife, habitats and ecosystems - which so
far has been traditionally lacking in those countries richest in natural
resources.

Despite capacity building being a key conservation action, the process has been
described as 'a risky, murky, messy business with unpredictable and
unquantifiable outcomes, uncertain methodologies, contested objectives,
unintended consequences and long time lags' (Morgan, 1998).

As yet, there has been no systematic approach to undertaking capacity building,
or for monitoring and evaluating the success (or otherwise) of such
initiatives. This meeting will explore different approaches to training the
next generation of conservation leaders, to develop a set of standard
recommendations for practice. This will build on the key findings and strategic
solutions proposed in the first ever international conference on capacity
building for conservation (Columbia, 2013) and highlight examples of successful
training initiatives, ranging from vocational training to taught courses and
e-learning.

This meeting will be chaired by Dr Mark O'Connell, ERT Conservation

Booking is not necessary for this event - seating is allocated on a first come,
first served basis. We hope to see you there!

------------------------------------
PhD Evening  - LERN Seminar Series

Date & time:      11th June, 17:00
Venue:                 G01 Lankester Lecture Theatre, Medawar Building, UCL,
Gower St. London, WC1E 6BT
Abstract:              The LERN PhD evening will be a mini-conference, with
four 15 minute talks. If you are interested in giving one of the talks, email
us (londonevolution@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:londonevolution@xxxxxxxxx>)! It's a great
opportunity to present your research - and practice your public speaking skills
- in an informal setting.

------------------------------------
Seminars outside of London

27th June 2014

The Division of Biological Anthropology of University of Cambridge, UK, will be
organising the conference "Evolution of Innovation: Big Brains or Big Data?" on
27th June 2014 (Friday) in Mill Lane Lecture Room 1. We'd like to extend our
invitation to those who are interested to submit their abstracts for posters to
this conference. For more information, please refer to our
website<http://www.bigbrainsbigdata.com/>.

------------------------------------
Request for volunteers

Soapbox science 2014

It is that time of the year again when Soapbox Science is searching for
volunteers to help on the day.

As you may know, Soapbox Science is an annual public science communication
event that transforms public areas in central London into an arena for public
learning and scientific debate (see http://soapboxscience.org for more
information on this).

This year, our event will take place on Sunday the 29th of June, Queen's Stone,
Riverside walkway (by Gabriel's Wharf), South Bank London SE1 9PP. The event
runs from 12-3pm. For this occasion, we have selected 12 inspiring speakers:
these are Prof Eleanor Highwood (Reading University), Dr Priya Kalia (King's
College London), Dr Suchitra Sebastian (University of Cambridge), Dr Pola
Goldberg Oppenheimer (Birmingham University), Dr Louise Janna Johnson
(University of Reading), Dr Natasha Stephen (NHM & Imperial College London), Dr
Erin Heerey (Bangor University), Dr Yvette Hancock (University of York), Dr
Jennifer Bizley (UCL), Dr Deidre Hollingsworth (Warwick University), Dr Isabel
Pires (University of Hull), and our very own Dr Sarah Durant.

We are looking for volunteers to help with various aspects of the event,
ranging from data collection to speaker's assistance, crowd control and public
engagement. Being a volunteer provides some fantastic networking opportunities
- and is generally associated with getting a free lunch!

If you would like to volunteer, please contact Nathalie Pettorelli
Nathalie.Pettorelli@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Nathalie.Pettorelli@xxxxxxxxx> directly.

If you would like to include a seminar, event or a seminar series to the CEE,
please e-mail details of the event, at least two weeks before the seminar date,
to cee@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cee@xxxxxxxxx> . Once accepted your event will be
publicized on the website calendar, via e-mail and to the twitter community.

Chris Langridge
CEE Administrator
The Centre for Ecology and Evolution
University College London