[ceevol] Forthcoming CEE Events w/c 16th June

  • From: CEE.Secretary <cee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 15:42:44 +0000

Dear all,

Please find below, a list of upcoming CEE related events for the coming week.

Events w/c 16th June
------------------------------------
ZSL Stamford Raffles Lecture 2014 - The past and future of life in UK seas –
ZSL Seminar Series
Speaker:              Callum Roberts, Professor of Marine Conservation,
University of York
Date & time:      Tuesday 17th June, 9am – 6pm
Venue:                 ZSL - Zoological Society of London, London, United
Kingdom
(map<http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=ZSL%20-%20Zoological%20Society%20of%20London%2C%20London%2C%20United%20Kingdom>)

We are fortunate in the UK to be surrounded by some of the most productive seas
on the planet. They have nourished us and promoted our wellbeing for thousands
of years. However, in the last two centuries, the expansion and
industrialisati​on of fishing has triggered a transformation of the environment
that has accelerated towards the present. Worrying trends include decreased
abundance and variety of life, collapse of fisheries and loss of biodiversity,
including the disappearance of large species like skates, angel sharks, bluefin
tuna and wolf fish. This is happening as the oceans change under the influence
of other forces, including development, greenhouse gas emissions and discharge
of other pollutants. Despite growing recognition that our seas need better
management, current policy falls far short, affording too little protection and
failing to address the major causes of harm. In this talk, Callum Roberts will
describe how our seas once were, what they have become and what it will take to
recover the richness, vitality and spectacle that they are losing. Callum
Roberts Callum Roberts is Professor of Marine Conservation at the University of
York. His research focuses on threats to marine ecosystems and species, and on
finding the means to protect them. His research interests include documenting
the impacts of fishing on marine life, both historic and modern, and exploring
the effectiveness of marine protected areas. For the last 25 years he has used
his science background to make the case for stronger protection for marine life
at both national and international levels. His award winning book, The
Unnatural History of the Sea, charts the effects of 1000 years of exploitation
on ocean life. Callum Roberts - Professor of Marine Conservation Callum’s most
recent book, Ocean of Life: How Our Seas Are Changing, was shortlisted for the
Royal Society Winton Science Book Prize. It charts the accelerating rate of
damage to the oceans, revealing how we are on a path to self-destruction
without an urgent change of course. His research team provided the scientific
underpinning for a network of six high seas marine protected areas covering
285,000 km2 of the north Atlantic that was declared in 2010. Callum is a WWF UK
Ambassador, Trustee of Seaweb, Fauna and Flora International and Blue Marine
Foundation, and Advisor to Save our Seas and The Manta Trust.

http://www.zsl.org/science/whats-on/stamford-raffles-lecture-2014-the-past-and-future-of-life-in-uk-seas

------------------------------------
Shifting baselines: why we so readily accept the progressive decline of the
natural world – Linnean Society
Speaker:              Callum Roberts, Professor of Marine Conservation,
University of York
Date & Time:      Thursday, 19th June, 18:00 – 19:00
Venue:                 Linnean Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly,
London, W1J 0BF
(map<http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=The%20Linnean%20Society%20of%20London%2C%20Burlington%20House%2C%20Piccadilly%2C%20London%2C%20W1J%200BF>)

Shifting environmental baselines are intergeneration​al changes in how we
perceive the state of our world. Each generation sets its mental baseline based
how the world looked in their youth and perceives change relative to this
benchmark. Younger generations accept as normal a world that seems tainted and
degraded to older generations. This societal amnesia leads to lowered
expectations that in turn produce lower ambitions when it comes to protecting
and restoring nature. Shifting baselines help explain why we are failing to
arrest the haemorrhaging of biodiversity in the modern world. In his talk,
Callum Roberts will explore the pervasive nature of shifting baselines in our
daily experience, illustrating the idea using examples from across the world.
He will ask whether there are ways to reset shifted baselines and counter our
unwitting acceptance of creeping environmental degradation. This meeting is
free and open to all; registration is not necessary.

http://www.linnean.org/Meetings-and-Events/Events/Shifting+baselines_why+we+so+readily+accept+the+progressive+decline+of+the+natural+world

------------------------------------

Upcoming seminars

‘Sounds of Australia’. - Natural History Museum’s Collections Seminar Series
Flett Lecture Theatre, Natural History Museum
Thursday 3rd July 2014, 2.30pm-4.00pm.

Recordings of wildlife sounds represent verifiable evidence of the presence of
one or more species at a particular time and place, a valuable resource for
researchers, educators and members of the public.

The Australian National Wildlife Collection has a sound library estimated to
comprise 200,000 separate recordings from a variety
of sources. The recording media range from analogue to digital, each format
presenting its own suite of issues with regard to curation, conversion and
making the sounds and their metadata accessible.

Accessibility in itself can be problematic, as multimedia are readily pirated
from the web. Since June 2013, in collaboration with the Atlas of Living
Australia, the ANWC has made 6,951 species occurrence sound metadata records
globally available.

Unfortunately, due to the constraints of technology and copyright, only 3,440
of 4,651 sound files are publically accessible.

For further information on this seminar please contact Julie Reynolds
(Julie.Reynolds@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Julie.Reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>).

Annual A.R. Wallace Lecture 2014

Wednesday 30th July 2014            16.30–17.30
Flett Events Theatre, Natural History Museum, South Kensington, London

Indefatigable Naturalists: Wallace and Darwin on the Evolutionary Trail

Dr Jim Costa (Executive Director, Highlands Biological Station, Highlands, NC,
USA and Professor of Biology, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC, USA)

Alfred Russel Wallace was the last of the great Victorian naturalists, and by
the end of his long life in 1913 he was also one of the most famous scientists
in the world, lauded by leading learned societies, British royalty and US
Presidents alike. Against all odds — lacking wealth, formal education, social
standing or connections — Wallace became the pre-eminent tropical naturalist of
his day. He founded one entirely new discipline — evolutionary biogeography —
and, with Darwin, co-founded another: evolutionary biology. Yet today Darwin's
name is universally recognised, while Wallace is all but unknown. Jim traces
the independent development of Wallace's and Darwin's evolutionary insights,
exploring the fascinating parallels, intersections and departures in their
thinking. Drawing on Wallace's 'Species Notebook'  (the most important of
Wallace's field notebooks kept during his southeast Asian explorations of the
1850s) Costa puts Wallace's thinking into a new light in relation to that of
his more illustrious colleague. He also examines the ups and downs of Wallace's
relationship with Darwin, and critically evaluates the misleading 'conspiracy
theories' that Wallace was wronged by Darwin and his circle over credit for the
discovery of natural selection. Tracing the arc of Wallace's reputation from
meteoric rise in the 19th century to virtual eclipse in the 20th, Costa
restores Wallace to his proper place in the limelight with Darwin.

About Jim Costa
Jim’s research ranges from insect social behaviour to the history of
evolutionary thinking. As a recent fellow-in-residence at the Berlin Institute
for Advanced Study in Berlin, Germany, Jim completed two books about  Wallace.
On the Organic Law of Change (Harvard, 2013) is an annotated transcription of
the most important field notebook kept by Wallace during his explorations in
southeast Asia, providing new insights into the development of Wallace's
evolutionary thinking in the 1850s. In the companion volume Wallace, Darwin,
and the Origin of Species (Harvard, 2014) Jim analyses Wallace's ideas and
arguments about evolution in the notebook period in comparison with those of
Darwin, and examines the relationship between these two giants of evolutionary
biology.

All welcome! Please enter the Museum via the Exhibition Road entrance and allow
time for possible queuing to get in. For information on how to get to the Flett
Theatre see
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/news-events/seminars/attending/ The
museum closes at 18.00.

The annual Wallace Lecture is organised by the NHM’s Wallace Correspondence
Project - http://wallaceletters.info/

------------------------------------
Seminars outside of London

27th June 2014

The Division of Biological Anthropology of University of Cambridge, UK, will be
organising the conference "Evolution of Innovation: Big Brains or Big Data?" on
27th June 2014 (Friday) in Mill Lane Lecture Room 1. We'd like to extend our
invitation to those who are interested to submit their abstracts for posters to
this conference. For more information, please refer to our
website<http://www.bigbrainsbigdata.com/>.

8-9th September

UK Plant Evolution Meeting 2014
http://symposium.bio.ed.ac.uk/ukplantevolution2014/index.html

What: A meeting aimed to strengthen and build the community of plant
evolutionary biologists in the UK
When: 8, 9 September, 2014
Where: Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh
Why: Compared to other regions, the number of plant evolutionary biologists in
the UK are few. This meeting will provide opportunities to foster new
collaborations to strengthen the UK community in the short term, and discuss
approaches to build the community over the long term.
For more detail on motivation and format, please click further
details<http://symposium.bio.ed.ac.uk/ukplantevolution2014/detail.html>

If you would like to include a seminar, event or a seminar series to the CEE,
please e-mail details of the event, at least two weeks before the seminar date,
to cee@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cee@xxxxxxxxx> . Once accepted your event will be
publicized on the website calendar, via e-mail and to the twitter community.

Chris Langridge
CEE Administrator
The Centre for Ecology and Evolution
University College London