[ceevol] FW: UCL Biodiversity Forum and Seminar Series, Tues 17th Dec, 4pm

  • From: CEE.Secretary <cee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceevol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:22:12 +0000

Dear all,
Please find below a seminar which may be of interest to you.
Best wishes,
Chris
Chris Langridge
CEE Administrator
The Centre for Ecology and Evolution
University College London
Gower St., London, WC1E 6BT
E: cee@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cee@xxxxxxxxx>

4 pm, Tuesday 19th November 2013. Human impacts on 'natural' landscapes, past
and present.
Katherine Homewood, Dept Anthropology: Pastoralists shaping East African
savannas
James Steele, Dept of Archaeology: Modelling the dynamics of biological and
cultural extinction
Yijie Zhuang, Dept Archaeology: Early agriculture and landscape change in China.
Room: Taviton (16) 347. All welcome. Note this is a different room from last
month, same building on the floor below.   Also, we have a 2 hour room booking
this month, and for all future months, so we can run over the hour, if we
choose. If anyone would also like to share a few slides on the theme, let me
know. Some of us may well go for an end of term/festive drink afterwards.
More info:
UCL Biodiversity Forum and Seminar Series, 2013-2014
There are a large number of researchers at UCL working on biodiversity-related
topics, across Geography, the Centre for Biodiversity and Environment Research
(CBER), the Environment Institute, Earth Sciences, Anthropology, the Energy
Institute, Archaeology, Genetics, Evolution and Environment (GEE) and others.
The Biodiversity Forum and Seminar Series is a chance to talk across
departments and faculty, to foster greater collaboration (particularly now the
NERC DTP is funded which can facilitate cross-departmental PhD projects).
The forum met for the first time on Tuesday 19th November, and meets on the
third Tuesday of every Month, at 4pm, room 432, No. 16 Taviston Road (fourth
floor, UCL School of Slavonic Studies building), or occasionally room 347
within the same building. The Forum is intended for post-docs and staff as well
as masters and PhD students who have an interest in biodiversity, very broadly
defined, from discovering new species to policy impacts on biodiversity, and
spanning the past, present and future of biodiversity.
Usually there will be three speakers, each giving 10-15 minute presentations
around a broad theme. Most months have only two people booked so far, so if you
would like to speak, please email Dr Simon Lewis (Geography,
s.l.lewis@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:s.l.lewis@xxxxxxxxx>). PhD students and post-docs
are encourage to present their work within the upcoming themes.

Refreshments provided. The idea is that having the forum at 4pm means those who
have to leave at 5pm can, but those that want to chat, can continue.

Timetable
4 pm, Tuesday 21 January 2014. Planetary Boundaries: useful, an illusion, or
both? With Geogina Mace and Anson Mackay.
4 pm Tuesday 18 February 2014. Biodiversity responses to climate change
4 pm March 18th 2014. Biofuels and Biodiversity
4 pm Tuesday 15 April 2014. Biodiversity & Geo-engineering
Please pass this message round your networks, and feel free to suggest topics
and speakers for May and beyond.
Dr Simon L. Lewis
Reader, Global Change Science
Department of Geography
University College London.
+44 (0)20 7679 0561
s.l.lewis@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:s.l.lewis@xxxxxxxxx>
twitter: @simonllewis
NB, while based in London, I work 50% time for UCL and 50% in an equivalent
position at University of Leeds. My UCL office days are Mon and Tues. My Leeds
email is s.l.lewis@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:s.l.lewis@xxxxxxxxxxx>