[ceevol] FW: Humanimals Season begins at the Grant Museum: Under the Caribbean

  • From: "Dempster, Jane" <j.dempster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dempster, Jane" <j.dempster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:00:22 +0000

For all in GEE, SMB and CEE

Dear All
Jack Ashby in the Grant Museum invites you to some exiting events as follows.
Best wishes
Jane

Dear all,

We warmly invite you to the first event in this term’s Humanimals Season at the
Grant Museum…

Under the Caribbean (1954) on the Big Screen
Wednesday 18th January, 6.30pm
JZ Young Theatre, Anatomy Building, University College London, Gower Street,
WC1E 6BT

This Oscar-winning documentary by Austrian wildlife film-maker Hans Hass
displays stunning photography of the underwater world, including
ground-breaking shots of whales around the Galapagos and insights into the life
of scientists at sea.

Both a classic science film and an hilarious shark-filled romp, this is a real
must-see. Accolades aside, its English dubbing and the zoologists’ pretence
that their dialogue is taking place underwater make it seem like a cross
between Monty Python and Eurotrash.

Film buff and science historian Dr Joe Cain (UCL Science and Technology
Studies) will introduce the film. Following the film join us for a free glass
of wine in a private view of the Museum. Admission is free and there is no need
to book.

Spring 2012 is Humanimals Season
The influence animals and humans have on each other is enormous. This Season at
the Grant Museum of Zoology we will be exploring the interactions between
animals and humans. Through classic film nights, lectures, discussions and
hands-on workshops we will investigate human concepts in the animal world, and
animals venturing into the human world. We’ve got a lot to learn from the
cross-over. See the full programme here:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums/whats-on/#460

On the blog
Why we’ve put 1000 specimens on the floor:
https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/2012/01/09/why-weve-put-a-thousand-specimens-on-the-floor/
How the marsupial way of doing things has limited their evolution:
https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/2011/12/20/the-price-of-the-pouch/
Fake-umentary? BBC and Frozen Planet:
https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/2011/12/15/fake-umentary-bbc-and-frozen-world/
A write-up of The Blob (1958) on the Big Screen:
https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/2011/12/16/it-crawls-it-creeps-it-eats-you-alive/
Latest specimens of the week:
https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/tag/specimen-of-the-week/

We hope you can visit soon and see our lovely new glass and lights from next
week.

All the best
Jack

Acting Manager
Grant Museum of Zoology
Rockefeller Building
University College London
21 University Street
London WC1E 6DE

Web: www.grant.museum.ucl.ac.uk
Blog: https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/

020 3108 2052 (or 52052 from within UCL)
j.ashby@xxxxxxxxx

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UCL-Museums-and-Collections/352538109391
http://twitter.com/@uclmuseums