[ccoss] Re: unmount cdrom, device is busy, what is using it,using fuser as a solution

  • From: Christopher Paulin <cpaulin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ccoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:52:46 -0500

Bill wrote:

>Cool. I think these tips are great! I wonder if we should create a
>monthy (or even weekly) tip on www.ccoss.org? ?Half the battle of using
>a computer effectively is knowing what can be done let alone what can do
>what you need!
>
>Cheers

I was thinking the same thing except to include these in the Unix
Utilities by Example document.

Actually, what I was working on was copying a CD that came with a
motherboard I installed for someone without using the Windows programs
that came with my CD-recorder, and I found some things out about Linux
on the way when I got stuck that I wanted to share with others and get
advise for. That CD was not readable my the computer's CD-ROM I was
working on but was with mine. That computer's CD-ROM works with other
CDs ok. I realize now that I didn't need to copy it to the hard drive,
but I didn't know how well the CD would read considering that it
couldn't be read on the computer I worked on, so I now have a good copy
according to the MD5 comparisons. Only one file didn't copy correctly
the first time.

For copying the CD, I've been following
"http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1";. I got to this
command: "mkisofs  -r   -o cd_image   private_collection/", and I got an
error when I ran it:

chris@p450:/mnt/windows_xp/Documents and Settings> mkisofs -r -o
cd_image temp_cd_copy/*
Using READM000.TXT;1 for  /Readme.txt (Readme.TXT)
Using READM001.TXT;1 for  /Readme.TXT (Readme.txt)
Using READM002.TXT;1 for  /Readme.txt (Readme.TXT)
Using READM003.TXT;1 for  /Readme.TXT (Readme.TXT)
Using READM004.TXT;1 for  /Readme.TXT (Readme.TXT)
Using READM005.TXT;1 for  /Readme.TXT (Readme.TXT)
mkisofs: Error: 'temp_cd_copy/usb/Readme.TXT' and
'temp_cd_copy/Utility/Readme.TXT' have the same Rock Ridge name
'Readme.TXT'.
mkisofs: Error: 'temp_cd_copy/Modem/Readme.TXT' and
'temp_cd_copy/Lan/Readme.TXT' have the same Rock Ridge name 'Readme.TXT'.
mkisofs: Error: 'temp_cd_copy/Sound/Readme.TXT' and
'temp_cd_copy/Modem/Readme.TXT' have the same Rock Ridge name 'Readme.TXT'.
mkisofs: Error: 'temp_cd_copy/usb/Readme.TXT' and
'temp_cd_copy/Sound/Readme.TXT' have the same Rock Ridge name 'Readme.TXT'.
mkisofs: Error: 'temp_cd_copy/Utility/Readme.TXT' and
'temp_cd_copy/Sound/Readme.TXT' have the same Rock Ridge name 'Readme.TXT'.
mkisofs: Unable to sort directory
chris@p450:/mnt/windows_xp/Documents and Settings>

I got as far as finding out that this is a documented bug according to
the author, Jörg Schilling, and trying to figure out how to update to
cdtools-2.0. I never found out if this was fixed. After that, I took a
break.

Christopher Paulin