[cc-lists] Re: What Carlisle Schools uses and does

  • From: "Christine Paulsen" <paulsens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cc-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:29:26 -0400

Hi,

We did not load WordPress with emails.  Partly because it would have been
time consuming, and partly because the list of Alcott names from the PTG
list included so many families that had moved on from Alcott, or included
community members.  We really felt it was time to start fresh and develop a
new list.  So, we asked people to sign-up.  It's been an  effort to get
people on board.  We use every public gathering and other means to reach out
to everyone (i.e., Back to School Night, flyers in backpacks, emails from
room parents, etc.).  I must say that Sharon Young has been ultra supportive
and reminds parents about it whenever she has the chance.  That helps us a
lot.

So, we *think* we have most of the families signed up.  But, it's impossible
to be sure since some families have two parents that sign-up, some don't,
and some teachers are signed up, too.  We can only see the email address, so
we have no way of knowing who is who.

Sharon Carroll and I (if I can speak for her) would love to share our
experiences with other PTGers who might be interested in exploring this
solution.

Thanks,

Christine

From: Claire Wilcox <cwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 08:36
To: Richard Wells <raw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Richard --

I administer the Buzz list, and the server and the list-serve software comes
from MEC, the Merrimack Educational Center.  Here's a link to their website:
http://www.mecnet.net/

MEC provides our internet service and our email service.  Regarding the list
serves, they provide the framework with a number of options and settings.
We then set up the groups we need and manage them.  We currently have one
for the Buzz and one for each grade level.  This seems to work pretty well.
Regarding the Buzz, we don't send the actual document to our list serve
members but rather send a link to the newsletter, which is posted on our
school website.

I hope this information is helpful.  I would be happy to talk with you, so
please give me a call if you would like.

Claire

Claire Wilcox
Assistant to the Superintendent
Carlisle Public Schools
83 School Street
Carlisle, MA 01741
978-369-4102
Voice Mailbox: 1116
cwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In compliance with M.G.L. Ch. 66, all email correspondence
to and from the Carlisle Public Schools is being archived.

  _____

From: Richard Wells <raw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:21:30 -0400
To: Claire Wilcox <cwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Claire,

I got your name from Janet Friedman as the person who edits the Carlisle
Schools monthly. I'm hoping you know and can send me the name and e-mail of
the person who administers the e-mail list server you use for distributing
The Buzz.

I administer (as a parent volunteer) such a mailing list system for Concord
K-8 and CCHS and I'm looking for a service provider and thought I might
learn something from my counterpart in Carlisle.

Thanks,
Richard

--
-- Richard A. Wells