[cc-lists] Re: Discussion of CPS and Concord-Carlisle E-Mail Lists

  • From: "Joyce Davis" <thedavispack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cc-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:19:06 -0400

I'm not going to bother to interleave.  My experience with the CMS
Announcements is that people want the new stuff at the top and don't bother
reading the rest :-(.  Having done announcements for 3 years, I have a few
things to add.  Everyone who submits things thinks that their announcement
is VERY IMPORTANT and should be repeated often and at the top.  I can easily
see a website approach quickly devolving because someone is not getting
enough responses to their event and so they want an email blast sent.  Once
that starts, it is a very slippery slope.  It will be hard to convince
others that they don't also need email blasts.  Pretty soon, you get to the
CCHS method where you get a reminder every other day about the same event.
(OK, so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but it sure feels that like
sometimes.)

Also, I spent last year trying to find a replacement to do the
announcements.  It is a time consuming job and not many people can commit to
something like that.  If I had to also say that they needed web experience,
forget it.  I realize that we will not be able to replace Richard and all
the work he does on the back end.  However, I have not seen a PTG website
that was maintained fully thru a school year.  I have grave doubts about
finding volunteers with the time and skills needed.  At least everyone knows
how to create and send emails.

I also agree that Connect Ed needs to be saved for the very important stuff.
I don't think that is the way to go for everyday announcements and such.  I
actually like the website approach (even tho my comments above would seem to
indicate otherwise).  The main sticking point I see is getting someone at
each school to commit to keeping it up-to-date with a clear understanding of
what will be available there and what (if anything) merits an email.  I
think parents won't like it as much, since it is not in their face the way
email is, but can ultimately be trained to use it (after missing some
important info).

Frankly, we may have reached a point where this is not something that can be
left entirely to volunteers.  That is an issue for the school admin to
address and I realize with budgets the way they are, nothing will be
changing in the near future.  But communication between schools and parents
is so vital at all levels.  It's what keeps the parents involved and helps
parents help their children make the most of the opportunities they have.

Joyce Davis

  _____