[cas_announce] pass the Word & Join us for CASKids: Can We Live On Mars | Sat Aug 3 8:30pm

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Announce CAS_ <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 06:37:20 -0700 (PDT)

Can We Live On Mars?

As the saying goes: A great place to visit. But could you - would
you - want to live there?

We have always been captivated by the Red Planet. Before the days
of TV and radio, fabulous stories had been written about astronauts exploring
this far away and mysterious world. Generations have wondered if there has ever
been civilized life on Mars.  In 1895
American astronomer Percival Lowell turned his giant telescope to Mars and
mapped what he thought were irrigation canals bringing much needed water from
the planet’s north and south poles to desperate Martian farmers all across the
planet.

Have there ever been Martians?  Are there any Martians now?  Will
we be the first Martians?

For our next installment of “CASKids”, Elizabeth Daniels from
Cincinnati State will help you explore what it might take for astronauts to live
on Mars. What technology would you need? What would you have to bring with
you? How would you engineer and build a colony on another world? What science
would
you do that the current NASA rovers can’t do?

Afterwards astronomers will be on hand to answer all your spacey
questions, show how telescopes work, and you’ll view the night sky through our
big telescopes. (Presentation held clear or cloudy.)

Have a telescope, big or small? Bring it along for expert help
exploring the night sky. We invite families, students, teachers and scouts -
anyone with a sense of wonder about our solar system, galaxy or the Universe.

        * Saturday August 3rd
        * Cincinnati Astronomical Society
        * 5274 Zion Rd
        * Cleves, OH 45002
        * www.cinastro.org
        * Program begins at 8:30pm.
        * Stargazing follows (weather permitting)
        * Admission: Donation Requested
        * FREE for CAS Members!
        * Open to all kids!  Ideal for grades 1 through 6.
        * No reservations required.

More information and resources for
teachers can be found at:
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/index.cfm