[cas_announce] DSS Yard Work Update: 6/28/09

  • From: "Patrick Freeman" <pfreeman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:07:37 -0400

Well, we came.  We mowed.  We weed-eated.  And we chainsawed.  'Nuff said.

Seriously, A BIG thanks to Steve Tilford for all of his help Friday and
Saturday at the Dark-Sky Site.  He came out Friday evening and again on
Saturday to help me with the yard work.  Thanks to Brad Reck for his help on
Saturday afternoon also.  Without their help, the work wouldn't have gotten
done!  Thanks, guys!!!

The yard is all mowed, including some parts (like the camping area) that
rarely get mowed.  Steve weed-eated the entire hill from the 27" to the
barn.  And we managed to get a lot of the trees cut down before the
chainsaws both quit on us.  The southern sky from as seen from the main
field by the main pad is a bit more open, and the back side of the lower
field is more clear now.   There are still a lot of trees to take down up at
the 27" in order to clear the west and southwest enough, but Steve did get a
lot of those down.

There are some areas that didn't get the attention they needed, like down by
the power panel and the backside of the picnic area, but the heat and the
humidity conspired to keep us from making it there.  But the main areas are
all looking tons better.  Most of the field was thigh-high when we attacked
it, so it was slow going.

Hopefully the next time the yard needs that much work the temperature won't
be in the 90's.it was brutal.

-- Pat Freeman
Dark-Sky Site Chairperson