[cas_announce] CASKids | Ancient Astronomy | Sat 9/7 | 7:30pm @ CAS HQ

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Announce CAS_ <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:02:33 -0700 (PDT)

Ancient Astronomy

It’s easy to think of astronomy as a “modern” science. After all
its main tool, the telescope, has only been around for about 400 years. While
our knowledge of the universe around us increases at an ever increasing rate
today, astronomy is actually the oldest science.

There is little recorded information from early man’s thoughts
about the universe. They believed that the night sky held great power of their
daily lives which lead to the belief in astrology. The early Egyptians may have
built the pyramids 5,000 years ago in part as astronomical tools. Stonehenge’s
construction start dates back to around the same time and continued for dozens
of centuries. Even before then some celestial events, comets, eclipses and
exploding stars were recorded in crude drawings often made on cave walls.

1,600 years ago the Babylonians recorded the motions of the
planets, sun and moon. Around 500 B.C. the Greeks took that knowledge and
applied a scientific method to learn the size of the Earth, to predict future
eclipses
of the Sun and Moon, and cataloged the stars and constellations.

For our next installment of “CASKids”, Elizabeth Daniels from
Cincinnati State will help you explore how cultures from around the world,
including North America used astronomy every day. Without the telescope how did
they learn about the moon, planets and stars?Afterwards astronomers
will be on hand to answer all your spacey questions, show how telescopes work,
and you’ll view the night sky through our big telescopes. (Presentation held
clear or cloudy.)

Have a telescope, big or small? Bring it along for expert help
exploring the night sky. We invite families, students, teachers and scouts -
anyone with a sense of wonder about our solar system, galaxy or the Universe.

        * Saturday September 7th
        * Cincinnati Astronomical Society
        * 5274 Zion Rd
        * Cleves, OH 45002
        * www.cinastro.org
        * Program begins at 7:30pm.
        * Stargazing follows (weather permitting)
        * Admission: Donation Requested
        * Open to all kids!  Ideal for grades 1 through 6.
        * No reservations required.

More information and resources for
teachers can be found at:
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/980215e.html