[cas_announce] CAS Event: Rocks fromSpace! Saturday August 6th 7 to 10pm

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Announce CAS_ <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 04:33:06 -0700 (PDT)

Just a reminder of our next upcoming public & member program.

Free for members.
Pass the word to friends, family and colleagues.

Hope to see you there,
Craig

The Cincinnati Astronomical Society hosts Rocks From Space

                                        On
 any clear night you might see a handful of “shooting stars” streaking
across the night sky. Long ago people thought the stars were actually
falling from the sky. Now we know these brief streaks in the night sky,
called meteors, are tiny bits of solar system debris most of it smaller
than a pea. Entering the Earth’s thin upper atmosphere, at speeds up to
150,000 miles an hour, heat from friction completely vaporizes the
intruders.

But occasionally something bigger targets the Earth.
Not the light-weight fluff we call shooting stars - these rocks from
space are big enough and dense enough to survive their fiery trip.
Meteor Crater in northern Arizona is the breath-taking result of a
collision between a 150 foot meteor traveling at 26,000 miles per hour
and planet Earth. The explosion rocked the American Southwest 50,000
years ago and created a crater nearly one mile across and more than 550
feet deep.

Join the Cincinnati Astronomical Society Saturday August 6th from 7 to 10pm for
a family program on Rocks From Space!

• Get up close to spectacular Rocks from Space!
• Learn what meteorites are made of.
• Hold in your hands rocks older than our Solar System!
• Does Ohio have its own Meteor Crater?
• If there are meteor showers can there be a meteor storm?
• Can you hear meteors coming?
• Find out how best and where to view meteor showers.
• Did you know you can collect “rocks from space” at home?
• View through the Society’s big telescopes! (weather permitting)

CAS
 member John “Space Rock” Ventre is an expert on space rocks and will be
 bringing his amazing collection of meteorites for you to explore.

For
 100 years the Cincinnati Astronomical Society’s core mission has been
education and with its new headquarters is offering a wide variety of
programs for school groups, scouts, adults and club members.

The Cincinnati Astronomical Society
5274 Zion Rd. Cleves, OH 45002
(near the Mitchell Memorial Forest)
513-941-1981