[cas_announce] CAS 2nd Saturday May 11 8pm

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Announce CAS_ <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 07:21:37 -0700 (PDT)

We hope you'll join us for the next CAS 2nd Saturday presentation and star gaze.
Be sure to invite friends, family and
 colleagues!

And Save-the-Date:
      2nd Saturday June 8th 8pm
           The Summer Sky presented by Mike Smith

The 12 Greatest Astro
Events-Ever!

It’s a Top Ten list with a few extras tossed in. And you can’t
blame us since we have over 13 Billion Years of celestial events to choose
from.

#1 on the list might be the Big Bang that started it all, or the
Chixculib asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago,
Copernicus moving the sun to the center of our solar system, humans walking on
the moon or one of NASA’s most recent discoveries. Bring your own Top Twelve
list to compare.

For our next installment of “CAS 2nd Saturdays”, CAS
member, biologist and science educator Jack Berninger presents his twelve
astronomical events that changed the history, geology and life on
Planet Earth. Jack will share the dynamics of the events and how they
influenced our thinking and understanding of the universe and continue to do so
today.

Every 2nd Saturday the Cincinnati Astronomical Society features
area astronomers who bring you the Universe. We invite families, students,
teachers and scouts - anyone with a sense of wonder about our solar system,
galaxy or the Universe.

After Jack’s talk astronomers will be on hand to answer all your
spacey questions, you can tour the CAS observatories and learn how telescopes
work, and you’ll view Saturn and other night sky treasures through CAS’s four
large telescopes. (Presentation held clear or cloudy.) Have a telescope, big or
small? Bring it along for expert help exploring the night sky.

Astronomy is an exciting and engaging way to teach the STEM
(Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects by introducing all
the sub-disciplines in astronomy such as astrobiology along with physics, math,
chemistry and geology. We never know which young visitor at one of our CAS 2nd
Saturdays is going to have a career in the sciences. Some day she might even be
turning over rocks on Mars looking for life.

        * Saturday May 11th
        * Program begins at 8pm.
        * Stargazing follows (weather permitting)
        * Admission: Donation Requested
        * Open to all ages!
        * No reservations required.

The
Cincinnati Astronomical Society
5274 Zion Rd. Cleves, OH 45002   (near the Mitchell
Memorial Forest)
513-941-1981

More information and resources for
teachers can be found at:
Windows to the Universe
http://www.windows2universe.org
Science Kids
http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/lessonplans/biology.html
National Association of Biology Teachers
            http://www.nabt.org/
Learning Science
            http://learningscience.org/