[cas_announce] CAS 2nd Saturday May 11 8pm

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAS_Announce <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 11:02:10 -0400

We hope you'll join us for the next CAS 2nd Saturday presentation and star gaze.
Be sure to invite friends, family and colleagues!

The 12 Greatest Astro Events-Ever!

It’s a Top Ten list with a few extras tossed in. And you can’t blame us since
we have over 13 Billion years of celestial events to choose from.

#1 on the list might be the Big Bang that started it all, or the Chixculib
asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, Copernicus moving
the sun to the center of our solar system, humans walking on the moon or one of
NASA’s most recent discoveries. Bring your own Top Twelve list to compare.

For our next installment of “CAS 2nd Saturdays”, CAS member, biologist and
science educator Jack Berninger presents his twelve astronomical events that
changed the history, geology and life on Planet Earth. Jack will share the
dynamics of the events and how they influenced our thinking and understanding
of the universe and continue to do so today.

Every 2nd Saturday the Cincinnati Astronomical Society features area
astronomers who bring you the Universe. We invite families, students, teachers
and scouts - anyone with a sense of wonder about our solar system, galaxy or
the Universe.

After Jack’s talk astronomers will be on hand to answer all your spacey
questions, you can tour the CAS observatories and learn how telescopes work,
and you’ll view Saturn and other night sky treasures through CAS’s four large
telescopes. (Presentation held clear or cloudy.) Have a telescope, big or
small? Bring it along for expert help exploring the night sky.

Astronomy is an exciting and engaging way to teach the STEM (Science,
Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects by introducing all the
sub-disciplines in astronomy such as astrobiology along with physics, math,
chemistry and geology. We never know which young visitor at one of our CAS 2nd
Saturdays is going to have a career in the sciences. Some day she might even be
turning over rocks on Mars looking for life.

Saturday May 11th
Program begins at 8pm.
Stargazing follows (weather permitting)
Admission: Donation Requested
Open to all ages!
No reservations required.

The Cincinnati Astronomical Society
5274 Zion Rd. Cleves, OH 45002   (near the Mitchell Memorial Forest)
513-941-1981

More information and resources for teachers can be found at:
Windows to the Universe
http://www.windows2universe.org
Science Kids
http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/lessonplans/biology.html
National Association of Biology Teachers
            http://www.nabt.org/
Learning Science
            http://learningscience.org/