[cas_announce] Amateur Telescope making at CAS

  • From: mike catanzaro <mk_catanzaro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:21:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hello every one and happy spring!
Over the past couple of months there have been a good handful of people who
have shown some interest in CAS organizing a group to get together and make
some telescopes.
What I'd like to know is who would be interested in getting together and what's
your interest level? Do we have people interested in the whole process from
grinding the mirrors to final assembly? Or would we be more interested in
working with existing components.
Would you be more interested in making individual projects or doing a group
project?
The Internet has made kits for mirror making widely available and relatively
affordable (about $75 for a 6" Pyrex mirror kit.)
As I've never actually ground my own glass, any club members with previous
experience would be most welcome to provide some guidance or just a point in
the right direction.
If you'd be interested, send me an e-mail at mk_catanzaro(at)yahoo.com
If any interest is shown, we'll pick a date and have a meeting to pick a
direction we'd like to take.
Thanks,
Mike CatanzaroSecretaryCincinnati Astronomical Society.