[carceri-dev] Re: Outventory and stuff...

  • From: Santiago Zapata <java.koder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carceri-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:01:24 -0500

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

>Santiago Zapata wrote:
>
>>Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>
>>>Kheh, SlashDevdamage? ;-) Actually even weapons wont have any damage
>>>indicators -- they just have modifiers. So if an item has no modifiers,
>>>and has no "Weapon" flag, then it is treated as an improvised blunt
>>>weapon. Damage is mainly calculated on strength, anyway. But properties
>>>like attack speed (and accurancy) will suffer a lot when using an
>>>impro-weapon.
>>>
>>Thats what I mean; in my project there is no 'weapon' flag, nor weapon
>>categories; all items share a common structure and some of them have
>>properties that make them good weapons, but the calculus on how to use
>>these attributes is in the combat Action... I hope you understand me :)
>>

>I do, I have a similar approach in GenRogue but I wonder wether you
>don't underestimate the amount of work you will have to do to balance
>that properly... Contrary to popular belief this is a *lot* harder way
>to do things.

Yeah... I dont underestimate it, I actually know that one is the reason
why my project is semi-stopped, however its one of these decitions that
were taken too early in the project and thus must not be changed ;)

For now I am pushing this apart and will concentrate on the 'random
background' functionality :)

>P.S. I visited your livejournal lately -- and browsed some photos :).

Nice!

>Sometimes I regret that rl-developers don't form a stronger community to
>learn about each other not only from the "proffesional" side...

Yeah... may be its because most people is looking only for fonts of
knowledge... remember when you were killfiled just for posting something
community oriented?

I think however that there must be a place to start a real community, as
I believe rl developers are interesting people in that they look at the
world in a unique way... it's more than just developing a game

>P.S.2. Anyone knows how Kornel Kisielewicz looks like? :-D

Name: Kornel
Race: Male Human
Class: Genroguelike developer
Eye color: Dark brown