[carceri-dev] Invenment and Equiptory Tissues

  • From: Elwin <iselwin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carcery DEV group <carceri-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:57:08 +0300

Awwwww, I'm awfully sorry, I had no internet access and I guess I missed
everything I could... Life was very dense lately, with me *almost*
finishing my 11 form (damned Lithuanian isn't letting me go that easily
and I still have to bring 1.5 composition in till tomorrow...) and life
happening all the way around, and me turning into some kind of rather
repulsive kind of person and... Ow, well. Maybe it's for the best I had
some time spare from the Net... Though I must have missed important
early stage of Carceri development... I'll try catch up.

*waves around cheerfully*

Everyone, sorry for offtopic!

\There are several issues on which I need to decide here tough, so I
need your help guys\

I must have missed all the discussion... Damn!

\Carceri as for now will feature the standard one-item-per-square
"feature"\

That's good.

\There's also a hybrid approach -- actually a enhanced #1 approach, that allows
you to include one of 3/4 predefined Lua functions of managing inventory --
like: "ADOM style", "Angband style", "Diablo style" and "GenRogue style". A
possible expansion would be for these functions to use some defined
variables...\

I like this one the most... Higher customization level sure is good.
Owww... Though if I stop being selfish and consider toher people as well...
Maybe an "optional" hard-coded variant is better.

\Although equipment adds the issue of slot handling -- how to implement
them genericaly?\

I suppose there should be some "general" slot types and additional ones. For an
example, by default there are "hands" - weapon slot (type1) and "head" - armour
slot (type2). Game modder can add, for an example, "finger" (type3 slot) and
define rings as "type3" equipment, "tentacle" as "type1" slot... etc.

\3) Which other inventory-interface related features you would like to see?\

Inventory merged with equipping\using\reading\eating ;). Not ADoM style, I mean
:))). Item description support, item manual-labeling (like Name creature in
ADoM).

\a) Letter choice vs. Menu choice
b) Screen-size(limited) vs. Many (up to 255 items).

Any other "basic" choices to be made?\

Overlay the gamescreen (as in DiabloRL or GearHead) or clear it (ADoM).

\which slot to use to deal damage? Which ones are attacking slots? etc...\

Define one kind of slots as "weapon" ones and the rest as "bonus" ones (they
improve defense, give magical bonuses (rings, armour, leggings) etc, but don't
attack. Yeah, and a shield could be weapon with 0 damage and 0 speed :) ).

\Why such a decision? Because I want to keep Carceri clean. There's no
need to implement some obscure feature if no one will ever use it...\

Aha... Yes, I think that's a good idea, but then, I suppose, we should stick to
some more fundamental and generic stuff for now, leaving more in-depth and
cosmetical features for future releases, when we have something to actually toy
with and feel, what we need and how we need it?

\To those who don't use Thunderbird mail client:\

And to those who does ;)?

\-- you specify a filter to move all carceri-dev messages to the given
folder
-- now you turn threaded mode in that folder on\

I already do! Woo! Do I get my candy?