[carceri-dev] Re: Design Philosophy Shift

  • From: Kornel Kisielewicz <charon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carceri-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:17:02 +0200

Timothy Pruett wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>>Timothy Pruett wrote:
>>
>>>Well, the beauty of Lua, or scripting systems in general, is that the
>>>end-user is free to add in functionality that's not present in the base
>>>system.  If you integrate Lua properly, _most_ anything the player can
>>>think of would be doable, with the exception of features that try and go
>>>out of the boundaries of the engine.
>>>

>>Well, I only use Lua functions as triggers. I don;t know if it would
>>work if someone tried to use them beyond that...
>
> With a well-planned trigger system, the possibilities are endless.  I
> think StarCraft is a perfect example of this.  With their extremely
> well-done trigger system, people were able to create maps that went in
> directions unanticipated by the creators.  What was initially created to
> allow user-designed events/victory conditions ended up being used to
> create twitch-action arcade games, RPGs, and more.  If you create enough
> triggers/actions, the limit is the modders ingenuity and imagination.

Yes, StarCraft also inspired me -- it was a great example of
user-friendly, simle yet powerful system that allowd NOOBs to make their
own complex scenarios without needing to know how to do programming. And
StarCraft was a great game generally :-P

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]