[Technical canine-genetics] The popular sire

  • From: Christian Wachtel <carol1@xxxxxx>
  • To: canine-genetics <Canine-Genetics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:14:22 +0200

Anita Thomas wrote:

In another post you pointed out that the root causes of
"hybrid vigor" are not fully understood. There seems to be another
syndrome that is even less understood, I'll call it "inbred vigor".

Well, I could say I have read and studied lots of genetic literature both
popular and scientific, but I never found the term "inbred vigor" as against
entire libraries on "hybrid vigor" and its effects.

It is not impossible that breeders may sometimes achieve better health
by inbreeding outbred stock (and select it strictly for health). While
the last (and certainly most interesting and important) reasons of hybrid vigor
are not yet revealed this does not decrease its importatance.

When I mentioned that most breed registered in North america are of
European origin, I meant that they have been twice under a registration period.
BTW, the study we discussed contained only two American breeds.

Hellmuth Wachtel

Hellmuth Wachtel