<CT> WfW -> Win98 net via parallel

  • From: William C Andrews <uncwilly@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:37:00 EDT

Since we are on the subject of net working....

I have krusty old laptop that I would like to hook up to net with my
slick Athalon.  Problem is, the laptop is limited in options.

Run down on the limiting factors.
Laptop has:
486slcs/2 50mhz
8meg RAM
PC-DOS 2000
WfW 3.11 (with Calmira)
serial port tied up by mouse (blown PS/2 ports)
14.4 modem on MB
parallel port (original specs only) (on switch boxes to various items)
loads of HD space

Desktop:
AMD Athalon 1.1 GHz
640 MB RAM
Win98SE
standard set of ports (serial, parallel [also tied into switch boxes],
USB, [need network NMR on CNR])
v90 modem on CNR or NMR

I have a parallel 'Interlink' cable and enough straight throughs.

How can I get the 2 machines to talk as a network not as Client and
Server?
And at *DOS* level.
At one point about 2 years ago, I had the LT connected to a 95 machine,
for a few days.

What words of wisdom can get from you folks?
Currently have the machines tied to the externals as follows:

Laptop            Desktop     (available)    (available)
  |                  |              |            |
  +------------------+(4 way switch)+------------+

                  +---(2 way switch)---+
               Scanner              Zip Disk
               Printer      Trantor based 1x CD [not currently attched]

-- .
William Andrews       Uncwilly@xxxxxxxx
http://www.geocities.com/unc_willy/WTC/
Reduce-Reuse-Recycle