<CT> Warning about abandonware MSoffice 4.3

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 15:19:12 -0400

There may be a virus or other malware in the Microsoft Office Suite
4.3 on the abandonware site

> http://pages.sprint.ca/wrs2233/files/abandonware.htm

Can anyone help me to recover from the damage?

When I tried to install it in Windows NT 4.0 I repeatedly got error
messages telling about some kind of error in some line number in
something.c. The strange thing about that (though I didn't think out
all the implications until later) is that a Microsoft release
shouldn't contain any debugging information that refers to a
source file name.

I switched to another primary partition that has Windows 98 SE, with
Calmira on WfW 3.11 on MS-DOS 5.0 as the previous operating system,
and tried installing in WfW on the D: (logical) drive. Installation
seemed to be going well until the setup program complained that it
couldn't write to C:\WFW311\WIN.INI. From there on, the system
crashed, not all at once, but one process at a time.

To make a long story short, the primary partition I was using during
the install has a bad media byte, and I don't know what else. My two
other primary partitions are OK, but I couldn't boot them until after
I fixed the partition type bytes in the partition table. My logical
drives are also OK.

First, I want to warn anybody who is thinking of installing MS Office
from that abandonware site to be careful. Don't do it unless you know
how to recover from errors in the MBR and possibly the boot sector,
FAT, directories, and I don't know what else. For all I know, the
whole partition might have been overwritten.

But note that the damage was confined to the master boot record and
the visible primary partition. The logical drives and the hidden
(inactive) primary partitions are OK.

Second, I need to know how I could try to repair the damage to that
one primary partition. I have Norton Utilities for Windows 95 (a
little outdated). Its Disk Editor was good enough to fix the
partition table, but Norton Disk Doctor crashed trying to analyze the
damaged partition. I'm studying the Norton Utilities manual, but I
would be grateful for a litle help.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ