<CT> Tips: TinyURL, Dictionary/Thesaurus, IE<Ctrl-Enter>

  • From: "MOY, WILLIAM" <BMOY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:54:50 -0400

Hello All,

I wasn't aware of this type of a website existed that solves length =
problems of some URLs, so I thought I would pass this info to the list:  =
http://tinyurl.com/

Also, another website I find indispensable is www.dictionary.com, which =
actually changes to http://dictionary.reference.com/

Through this site, there is a free email service to learn a new word =
everyday.

From the site:

Every day you will receive an e-mail with the Word of the Day, its =
definition and example sentences from literary works, newspapers, =
magazines and other published sources. It's a great way to build your =
vocabulary for school, work or fun. Stay in touch by sharing the Word of =
the Day with distant (and not-so-distant) friends, relatives and =
co-workers.

Last, if you use Internet Explorer, you can type only the main part of a =
URL and if you enter it with <Ctrl>-<Enter>, Internet Explorer completes =
the address by adding a default URL prefix and suffix ("http://www."; and =
".com").

Question:  Does anybody know if there is a way of duplicating what =
www.tinyurl does through our own efforts?  For example, can we embed a =
lengthily link into a shortcut or alias and then send the visually =
simpler condensed url as an object in an email?  --Bill